Haunted Buildings in Taiwan

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Haunted Buildings in Taiwan

Postby jfn007 » 18 May 2012, 11:42

In March 2012 I visited two of my former students who live in Taoyuan. I am into photography and was interested in this very unusual looking seven story building in Taoyuan. I asked one of my students to tell me about this building. He stated, as did his parents, that a wealthy man was having it built for his wife, but during construction many workers developed a strange malady. Some of them died. I took many photos of this strange edifice. It was never completed and seems to serve as a billboard now. I would be happy to send copies of the building if anyone is interested. Oh, I fell in love with Taiwan, especially Longtan.
jfn007
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Haunted Buildings in Taiwan

Postby TheGingerMan » 18 May 2012, 19:48

I take it you are referring to what is usually called the "Crazy House" in Longtan?

http://flob.me/p942588
TheGingerMan wrote:Does anyone know the real story behind the Longtan site? It's truly bizarre, and in such a crossroads.
It's a notable driving landmark, reference-wise.

mingshah wrote:I was told a story but I have no idea to which degree this is true.

Basically years ago a quite rich guy decided he wants to build a house there. He was kind of excentric and wanted to build a special house, so he came up with the plans for this strange looking thing. It seems he had a problem with getting it approved or what so ever, at least he had no offical license/allowens/whatever. That alone woulnd be a problem in Taiwan, especially not at that time I guess, the right amount of money in a nice red envelope but the insisting on that house and the "fight against the authorities" caused him bad luck and so his business went down, he lost all his money and just got stuck with the house.
I was told that the guy lived still there (not sure about now, they told me the story 2 years ago) and as he had no official status he had no electricity and nothing. The advertisment on it wasn't there till about a year or maybe 1 1/2 year ago, guess he could use the money as after they came up with that I even saw light in there sometimes. Again, I never went in there nor could I get much more information. My lack of chinese mixed with the problem that the relatives didn't want to speak about the "ghost house" prevented me from anything.
I guess there will be at least as much fiction in that story as truth, kind of a bit like with the pod houses in Sanzhi.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
213 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 18 May 2012, 20:23

Isn't every house in Taiwan haunted? One would assume so by the amount of ghost money that gets burned. I'd also be a bit malevolent, mind, if I had to eat ghostly instant noodles and ghostly green guavas washed down with ghostly warm Taiwan beer and ghostly warm apple sidra for eternity. :2cents:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

946 Recommends(s)
357 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 19 May 2012, 02:41

jimipresley wrote:Isn't every house in Taiwan haunted? One would assume so by the amount of ghost money that gets burned.:

NO...

The burnt money goes to the relatives to pay their rent in the various realms of the afterlife. Keeps them away. if no money burnt, then they come for your money.

Makes total sense dont it?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Return to Open Forum