Cigarette branding ... over and done?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Cigarette branding ... over and done?

Postby Teddoman » 31 May 2012, 21:47

Maybe alcohol and cigarettes will be treated differently. Although there are alcoholics, which have big social costs, alcoholics are vastly outnumbered by casual drinkers who show no ill effects from drinking (and I think I've even read one drink a day is correlated with longer life).

Whereas I would guess most cigarette smokers are addicted at some level. And long term smoking, even at low levels, is probably correlated with more medical expense (and often borne by the public).
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 01 Jun 2012, 00:07

I rather like the olive green color.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 01 Jun 2012, 00:14

Nuit wrote:I remember long-haul flights in the 90s, seated just in front of the smoking section that was at the back of the plane. Wafts of nicotine washing forward over you.

I remember that dreaded seat... right in front of the smoking section (which was in no way partitioned from the "non-smoking" section... as if smoke doesn't drift :roll: ).

What I did was reach up to the air blowers above me, turn them to full blast, and point all three of them back toward the smoking seats. That at least helped minimize the drift.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 Jun 2012, 00:31

Chris wrote:
Nuit wrote:I remember long-haul flights in the 90s, seated just in front of the smoking section that was at the back of the plane. Wafts of nicotine washing forward over you.

I remember that dreaded seat... right in front of the smoking section (which was in no way partitioned from the "non-smoking" section... as if smoke doesn't drift :roll: ).

What I did was reach up to the air blowers above me, turn them to full blast, and point all three of them back toward the smoking seats. That at least helped minimize the drift.

Ah, you youngsters! :grandpa: We were allowed to smoke in hospital wards, and lecture halls on campus!
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Jun 2012, 02:45

I tell you whats bad? To get a hotel room thats a smokers room. Because they ran out of non smoking rooms. Yech ! It gets you coughing because you are in that room for the night.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 01 Jun 2012, 03:10

In some supermarkets here in the UK now they are not allowed to display the cigarettes so they have them all hidden behind a locked sliding cupboard with a massive sign saying it's illegal to sell them to those under age. If you want ciggies you have to say what you want then they go surreptitiously and get them. It is all very cloak and dagger. I wonder if it heightens the mystery of the whole thing for young kids, thus drawing them in.

"What IS your fascination with my forbidden closet of mysteries?"

There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
339 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 01 Jun 2012, 03:47

Steviebike wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:It's not about the images perse, but about the non-branding, colours, logos, making it (not)appealing to young new smokers ...

I think those cool new graphics will do the job on selling ciggies to kiddies. TBH I liked all the advertising and designs the cigarette brands used, but that was then and this is now. It's the right thing to do. Cigarette companies are focusing markets in like Taiwan, where the have more freedom. I think they will eventually get chased out of every country (read, heavily controlled). Does the tax revenue outweigh the cost of the health system?

There was some research on this and the answer was yes, or rather that smokers (and the obese) contributed more to the economy than they took from it in healthcare. It was because they pay more tax and die young, so saving the expense of old age care.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby dasmania » 01 Jun 2012, 03:53

Petrichor wrote:
Steviebike wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:It's not about the images perse, but about the non-branding, colours, logos, making it (not)appealing to young new smokers ...

I think those cool new graphics will do the job on selling ciggies to kiddies. TBH I liked all the advertising and designs the cigarette brands used, but that was then and this is now. It's the right thing to do. Cigarette companies are focusing markets in like Taiwan, where the have more freedom. I think they will eventually get chased out of every country (read, heavily controlled). Does the tax revenue outweigh the cost of the health system?

There was some research on this and the answer was yes, or rather that smokers (and the obese) contributed more to the economy than they took from it in healthcare. It was because they pay more tax and die young, so saving the expense of old age care.

Free government subsidized cigarettes and whiskey for everyone! It'll save the economy!
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum