Is the saying "find a job that you love" one of the biggest cliches ever?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby steelersman » 04 Jul 2012, 21:17

As some on this forum know I have been confused what to do after Taiwan. After college I wanted to travel around the world and I did. Anyways many people say "find a job that you love". I feel this is one of the biggest cliches ever.

1. One of the main problems is if you do something you love 40 hours a week, it usually becomes a job. Read comments from professional athletes. Even if they loved their sport as a kid, it usually becomes a job. This may be different for prominent actors since they may work hard when shooting a movies or television series, but they still have a lot of free time between shootings.

2. While doing something you love is a worthwhile aim, how in the world can everyone do something they love? Who would be the garbage men and the taxi drivers then?

3. What if one doesn't have the skill to do what they love? I would love to play in the NBA, but a 5'10" white guy has almost no chance of become an NBA player.

To conclude, I have no problem with people aiming to do something they love, however I just don't think it is very practical and may cause people to become disappointed with their career/job.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Re: Is the saying "find a job that you love" one of the biggest cliches ever?

Postby tomthorne » 04 Jul 2012, 21:40

My advice is to become an English teacher.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jul 2012, 21:43

It is an old and interesting debate topic. I would say in an ideal world we would be out hunting and fishing and smoking our pipes and the women would be cutting and pounding the cassava for the evening meal :).

The idea of doing a job that you like is certainly overrated. Many workers like their benefits and time off and social activities far more than the actual job.
Even if you are a doctor you would have to deals with 40 sniveling patients a day and be on call at all hours. It may be rewarding sometimes but not necessarily all the time.
A highly educated lawyer can still have to spend years trawling through boring case histories and doing process work.

Pay is very important because it gives you options. If you don't have decent pay lifestyle and options for further education and advancement should be high on the list.

They say the most important thing for most folk is to be doing as well as their peers and to have a sense of optimism for the future.

When you have children a lot of this can become academic, don't work, whole family is in poverty.

If you look back to the 19th century the upper classes didn't want jobs, the most they would aspire to would be to become a legislator or an officer.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: archylgp (05 Jul 2012, 13:28), Lo Pan (05 Jul 2012, 13:33)
Rating: 11.76%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 04 Jul 2012, 21:56

I do actually love my job.

I love testing my brain on diagnostic problem solving, and using my body physically in my work.
I love hating the summer as I am exhausted half way through the day and only want to go home for a cold shower. I absolutely LOVE freezing cold showers when I get home. Now when would anyone in their right mind love a freezing cold shower? Only my job can create that kind of an appreciation for one of the simple things in life.
I love the appreciation I get from people for doing a good job. I love to see people enjoying their safe, trustworthy cars. I love to hear the stories of where people went in them and how much more enjoyment they get from their transportation.
I really enjoy offering my skills to people so that they can get something done that they can't get done elsewhere. I love sharing my knowledge whenever I can and whenever its valuable.
All in all then I really can say I love my job. There are very few times I don't enjoy what I do.
I don't make as much money as other jobs I've had, but I get a great deal more satisfaction from it.

I can fully understand anyone though who only thinks of their job as their job and nothing more. I've been there many times in my working career and I know how doing something long enough can eventually take the sheen off. So far though, I'm happy to say that it hasn't happened to me, and I've been doing this for many, many years already. So fingers crossed I won't get sick of it for another few decades or so.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jul 2012, 22:08

Good for you Suvlaca. I was a benchtop scientist for a while, and while it does have some very rewarding aspects to hands on experimentation it must be said most of the work was tedious and boring.
Now I'm a sales manager....and it must be said most of the work is tedious and boring, it just pays better and has more flexibility.

The things I would really enjoy to do, like wildlife conservation or journalism of some sort, seem hard to make a living from. Such is life.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby Timabee » 04 Jul 2012, 22:26

All jobs and every career have tedious and boring aspects, and quite a few (most?) have their fair share of lame-headed bosses and all manner of irritating co-workers. Talk to anyone who actually does what you believe to be a dream job and you will find that there are hassles and headaches. The positive aspects of some jobs/careers can often compensate or even outweigh the hassles and headaches. But, I do agree with OP that the idea of "finding/doing a job that you love" as a primary driver of career choice is entirely cliche. Do what you love for as a hobby. Do what you are able as a job - with any luck you will find a good balance between personal satisfaction, career fulfillment and paying the bills. If not a perfect balance - perhaps a close approximation.

This post was recommended by grandfeller (05 Jul 2012, 00:36)
Rating: 5.88%
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 04 Jul 2012, 22:47

sulavaca wrote:I do actually love my job.

I love testing my brain on diagnostic problem solving, and using my body physically in my work.
I love hating the summer as I am exhausted half way through the day and only want to go home for a cold shower. I absolutely LOVE freezing cold showers when I get home. Now when would anyone in their right mind love a freezing cold shower? Only my job can create that kind of an appreciation for one of the simple things in life.
I love the appreciation I get from people for doing a good job. I love to see people enjoying their safe, trustworthy cars. I love to hear the stories of where people went in them and how much more enjoyment they get from their transportation.
I really enjoy offering my skills to people so that they can get something done that they can't get done elsewhere. I love sharing my knowledge whenever I can and whenever its valuable.
All in all then I really can say I love my job. There are very few times I don't enjoy what I do.
I don't make as much money as other jobs I've had, but I get a great deal more satisfaction from it.

I can fully understand anyone though who only thinks of their job as their job and nothing more. I've been there many times in my working career and I know how doing something long enough can eventually take the sheen off. So far though, I'm happy to say that it hasn't happened to me, and I've been doing this for many, many years already. So fingers crossed I won't get sick of it for another few decades or so.

I think most people enjoy their work more when they work for themselves. No one hovering over you telling you what to do!
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Re: Is the saying

Postby steelersman » 04 Jul 2012, 22:49

headhonchoII wrote:Good for you Suvlaca. I was a benchtop scientist for a while, and while it does have some very rewarding aspects to hands on experimentation it must be said most of the work was tedious and boring.
Now I'm a sales manager....and it must be said most of the work is tedious and boring, it just pays better and has more flexibility.

The things I would really enjoy to do, like wildlife conservation or journalism of some sort, seem hard to make a living from. Such is life.

I wish I could make a living from playing sports. However that is not really a possibility.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 04 Jul 2012, 23:02

HeadhonchoII,
I believe that most doctors find it very tedious dealing with administration work, even if they love treating patients. At least that is what I have heard.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 04 Jul 2012, 23:05

I despise punching the clock, and no such employer will get anything other than under the radar from me and mine.

However, my other less well paid endeavours in the field of literature, while dealing with other low-life writers, provides more satisfaction & gratification of the instant variety.

I think it is wise to have several gigs or outlets for employment. Not all of it has to be gainful in the square sense of the term, but it helps to have one's hands in more than a few baskets.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Open Forum