Dealing with Taiwanese arrogance and ridicule

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Dealing with Taiwanese arrogance and ridicule

Postby Confuzius » 06 Jul 2012, 22:27

archylgp wrote:OK Confuzius, you once posted a rude comment in response to something I wrote to be mean or funny or something. Not sure. I'll stop being an ass now. But you are talking about middle school / high school, which is completely different from college education here. If you have some time, go sit in classes for a few weeks. Just tell the teacher you want to listen (pang ting). They'll most likely let you stay. Best to go to a decent school.

You mind linking the comment? At least in PM, I was wondering why overnight I seemed to have a new flob nemesis.

Been to plenty of classes here-university (private and public) monastic, adult-ed. I have noticed, however, a strong tendency to discourage questioning. Not the ridicule that is prevalent in childhood education, but still questioning seems to often be viewed as being "rude" somehow.

No need to audit (旁聽), already busy as a mofo, thanks for the advice tho.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Re: Dealing with Taiwanese arrogance and ridicule

Postby Chris » 08 Jul 2012, 04:42

Ridicule by teachers in the (pre-university) classroom is something I experienced attending school in England. It was less common in American schools, in my experience, though it also happened there.

Ridicule of students by teachers is utterly counter-productive. Teachers should encourage class participation, and ridicule makes students less likely to want to speak up in class.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum