Taiwan's Falling Suicide Rate

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Taiwan's Falling Suicide Rate

Postby Mucha Man » 06 Jul 2012, 16:25

There were a lot of suicides over debt. Credit cards and cash cards were putting a lot of peole into serious financial troubles. 2005-6 would have been when the government cracked down on easy credit.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 06 Jul 2012, 16:33

Right,the Georgy & Mary 'ka zhai'. I remember it well. The government had to change the debtor rules there were so many people under severe pressure and the banks themselves took a big hit in the end
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 06 Jul 2012, 16:38

I've heard that one if the architects of easing credit was Jeffrey Koo the man who then went on to bribe CBS to approve the Longtan land deal. Lovely fellow.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jul 2012, 23:16

banning banks from usury would be a great thing. The USA banks regularly charges some 24pct per annum on credit card debt. I am paying off my fiancee's indonesian citibank card (thank goodness her limit is only 900 bucks) because they charge 42pct per annum over there !!!! BIG OUCH.

Thats usury, especially in the muslim world should result in bank managers being beheaded.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 07 Jul 2012, 10:53

What's the most popular way of committing suicide here?

Hanging, poison...Jumping into a river is kind of traditional (assuming they can't swim). Or using a coal-burning heater, with all the doors and windows sealed.
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

76 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 07 Jul 2012, 11:10

Facebook makes people happier
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 07 Jul 2012, 12:16

Nothing really to add here, of significance.

But I saw a jumper. And it was horrifying.

No other word to describe. Taichung City. I was in shock for 30 minutes at least. It's scary stuff. We didn't have the time to talk to him, just saw the jump.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Jul 2012, 14:56

:cry:
Hope they find peace now, even if their family just starts the grieving. *sigh*
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 16 Dec 2013, 17:54

Our old house is just down the road from where we live now - we had such a nice neighbour there, she was always helpful, cheerful, friendly. Mother of 3, and had plenty of gentle advice when we were strggling with our new born. She's just taken her own life, no big reason. Blocked up the bathroom, lit some charcoal, gassed herself. We went down to see the family today, husband and 3 teenage kids. It was really hard, and I choked up a little on memories.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.

This post was recommended by headhonchoII (16 Dec 2013, 18:35)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Dec 2013, 18:39

That's really sad that her family is left without their mother. A lot of people bottle things up, try to stay strong for the family, seen as the smiley one whatever, and then one day the last straw occurs, they snap and if you are lucky you catch them as a cry for help, if not......

Not to take away from your story, I'm in the process of moving house at the moment and we saw an empty apartment nearby.

In the bedroom there's a wooden floor and burned into the floor was a circle. The room still smelled of smoke and nobody has bothered to even clean the burned area.

Don't know if it was what I'm thinking it was but it was really creepy.

Shit man, I hope that's not the same place I saw, Taichung city?!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum