Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwan's Falling Suicide Rate

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Taiwan's Falling Suicide Rate

Postby jesus80 » 16 Dec 2013, 21:20

I remember that before coming over to Taiwan I read that China and Taiwan kinda lead the suicidals chart, specially the femenine contest. This was somehow related in my mind with hard work (slavery) and sexist husbands. Not sure how right or off my assumptions are.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Icon » 16 Dec 2013, 21:34

Usually, the whole family "suicides" together. Parents or one of the parents takes the kids along.

Extreme was last big one, 6 people, as granpa set up the gas and son,pregnant daughter in law, nanny and tw kids were simply gone because granpa was upset since son disagreed with his choice of new wife.

Then murder suicide, like bf kills gf and then kills himself, also very common.

Used to be a lot of suicides during big exam week, like college entrance ones. I do not think that is the case anymore.

Recently, there was some discussion in the news, ss a pretty, young woman jumped off Bitan bridge because she couldn't find a job.

We also had a close one here, the young laoban of the noodle shop. Friendly guy, always smiling. His family was devastated. Interestingly, the neighbors only commented on his lack of filial piety. *sigh*
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby jesus80 » 16 Dec 2013, 21:52

Reading you it just came to my mind what her grand father told a coworker: "life's too long. I'm bored, all my friends are dead, etc". The dude really wanted to die... out of boredom. I'm wondering how common is this feeling here...
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Dec 2013, 23:32

Icon wrote:Usually, the whole family "suicides" together. Parents or one of the parents takes the kids along.

Extreme was last big one, 6 people, as granpa set up the gas and son,pregnant daughter in law, nanny and tw kids were simply gone because granpa was upset since son disagreed with his choice of new wife.

Then murder suicide, like bf kills gf and then kills himself, also very common.

Used to be a lot of suicides during big exam week, like college entrance ones. I do not think that is the case anymore.

Recently, there was some discussion in the news, ss a pretty, young woman jumped off Bitan bridge because she couldn't find a job.

We also had a close one here, the young laoban of the noodle shop. Friendly guy, always smiling. His family was devastated. Interestingly, the neighbors only commented on his lack of filial piety. *sigh*

You never know , people just bottle it up. Reach out and help the smiley ones too.

Another recent case.. there was a young rich lady educated in the US who had an affair with a married man here, got pregnant, had an abortion the month before and perhaps regretted it. Started drinking, decided she wanted to see the guy, he didn't want anything to do with her, she insisted to drive to his house even though she was drunk. Never made it, crashed and burned. Suicide or not, people just crack here in God awful ways.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Taiwan's Falling Suicide Rate

Postby hsinhai78 » 17 Dec 2013, 11:13

Not to seem cold or heartless - but I notice a pattern: whereas a lot of people in the West kill themselves because of some voice telling them to do so (I have a trauma surgeon in my family, he could attest that those who survive the first attempt usually come across as psychotic), whereas in Taiwan people are simply unable to cope with everyday life situations.

This girl who jumped off the bridge in Bitan had a job, she was a waitress in a hot pot restaurant. All she had to worry about was some debt she incurred in one of these get-rich-quick snowball systems selling cosmetics - not more than 200,000 NT$! But instead of paying it off in installments and trying to improve her situation - after all she did not attend university - she decided life is too hard and jumps off a bridge. Ridiculous reason.

And another uniquely Asian pattern: risking others while committing suicide. Entire families die because someone decides to asphyxiate themselves with a charcoal burner. Or a pregnant woman dies because some asshole jumps off a building and falls on her.

I better not let someone lose face today....
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby headhonchoII » 17 Dec 2013, 11:33

What I heard about that girl was she was supporting her family and her grandmother was a trash collector, no money. So 200,000 ntd debt, after years of scrabbling, may have looked a tidal wave to her.
It may have been a rational decision on her part to end her perceived suffering and poor prospects.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Open Forum