DIY - how to fix closet doors?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: DIY - how to fix closet doors?

Postby Icon » 14 Jul 2012, 13:02

So, here's a partial view of the damage:

"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
714 Recommends(s)
565 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 14 Jul 2012, 22:16

That looks like it's only varnish deep. In which case you could sand them down and revarnish but I can't see the point if the cats are just going to scratch them up again. Wouldn't the landlady object to them being painted? I think if it were me I'd just face losing some deposit at the end of the tenancy.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Jul 2012, 00:21

If it was real wood I could sand it but I tried and it "slips", it is more like tough plywood. And we would still need to re-varnish.

The cats have lost interest in that area. It would be difficult to scratch it again. i just want it to look better in case anyone comes -a couple if friends have seen it and have gone OMG! :eek: heaven forbid that the landlady sees that, if she does, she's not a fan of the cats and we'll be on our fanny's on the street. We already had that soap opera last year, don't want to have it again.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
714 Recommends(s)
565 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 19 Jul 2012, 00:15

For DIY, think about living without the cats and pay to have the doors replaced, new furniture, new kitchen cabinets and hire somebody to deep clean the cat smell. If you have them, like a mother-in-law, live with it or do the obvious.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

Postby Icon » 19 Jul 2012, 17:49

The cats are no problem. To be honest, they scratched the doors climbing to the top shelf to sleep there in winter. I have attached a lock there, they can't get in, so they do not have any more interest in the doors and hence, won't scratch them no mo. Cat smell? Only the litter box area, and because it is summer.

I would like to fix that and change the furniture and all, but as I have said, we are doomed for destruction by wreckball -sometime in the not so near future, thank Goodness-, and hence any investments are not considered vital according to my landlady. OTOH, I like to keep the place at least presentable, I hardly ever have company, but for my own sake, staring at that eyesore is depressing. I have already invested in light fixtures and new furniture and other stuff, I am considering painting the place slowly by myself and hence I feel the doors could be prettied up without much fuss.

If they could be sanded this whole discussion would be moot...

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
714 Recommends(s)
565 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum