Best Country to Teach in and Why

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Best Country to Teach in and Why

Postby buzzkill » 25 Jul 2012, 21:40

This is probably frying cold rice for most of you, and since most of you are teaching in Taiwan already it might be hard to get unbiased answers. But I was curious what opinions I might get. From what I've heard: Japan is great as far as quality of life but hard to make good money and harder to get hired for a good teaching gig. Korea is the best place purely from a money standpoint, but quality of life not as ideal. China is desperate for teachers but both money and quality of life can be a problem. Thailand offers a great lifestyle but the pay is terrible. Other than that I've heard people stay in Taiwan because the life is convenient and the money isn't bad compared to places like Thailand and Japan. Demographics seem to be against English teachers in Japan and Taiwan and i guess Korea too in the long-run it seems. I haven't tried teaching here yet but not against the idea and was considering other possible locations should i really want to try teaching. Thanks for any advice and input.
buzzkill
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Best Country to Teach in and Why

Postby Impaler » 26 Jul 2012, 09:47

You forgot Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Italy, and Australia.

Saudi pays well, but is boring as fuck.

Brazil doesn't pay much, and is expensive now, but OMFG THE BIKINIS.

Italy doesn't pay much, but the scenery, the food, the travel opportunities, and a million other things make up for it.

Australia's economy is really booming right now, and their citizens are finally able to afford to travel and study abroad (instead of wandering around in a spider-and-snake-infested desert blowing on tree roots). I'd say that's probably the best place on the planet to teach English right now, and God knows they need help on it.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Re: Best Country to Teach in and Why

Postby ChewDawg » 26 Jul 2012, 10:45

Impaler wrote:
Australia's economy is really booming right now, and their citizens are finally able to afford to travel and study abroad (instead of wandering around in a spider-and-snake-infested desert blowing on tree roots). I'd say that's probably the best place on the planet to teach English right now, and God knows they need help on it.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: No amount of money could remove the convict accent! :lol:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

109 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Open Forum