"Best" (as end greeting on letter/emails)

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: "Best" (as end greeting on letter/emails)

Postby niaoahgin » 14 Aug 2012, 02:24

Any attempt at courtesy by closing a letter is appreciated, whether formal or informal. I would be interested in knowing what Forumosans think about my usual closing of "Take care". I am not sure where I picked it up from, but it seems to have become my closing of choice, in addition to "Warm/Best regards" for academic correspondence.

Speaking of "Cheers", a recent news article made me literally shudder from the complete pigheadedness of certain people in regards to the use of closings. This quote is from a news article written about the recent massacre in Colorado:

The one-line email to which he attached the application concluded with a curt and businesslike sentence signed in a way that further put off the rural Colorado gun range proprietor: “Cheers, James,” according to a copy obtained by FoxNews.com.

"That also struck me as very, very strange,” Rotkovich said. “Who says ‘Cheers?’”

Who says "Cheers"?
Millions of us.
niaoahgin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Re: "Best" (as end greeting on letter/emails)

Postby TheGingerMan » 14 Aug 2012, 04:25

Lo Pan wrote:Would it be inappropriate to point out that using the words "blogwank speak" is, in fact, also an example of blogwank speak? :ponder:

Holy Farg!
Are you even suggesting a chicken and the egg spinaround?
Best daydreams,.........
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

"Best" (as end greeting on letter/emails)

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Aug 2012, 06:36

What about people who have no intro? I've gotten more used to it over the years as twitterisation has occurred, but I used to hate to see it. I had a particular Italian customer that did this and to be honest it did reflect on his personality.

It felt like, FU HHII, I couldn't even be bothered to wish you the best or say hello.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1315 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Open Forum