English News!

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

English News!

Postby SuperS54 » 27 Feb 2002, 12:09

Just seen the Power TV news for the first time. Well for the first minute or so, it was great, news in English! Lots of local news that doesn't normally appear in the English paper. However, it quickly became obvious that it's written by a high school kid or such like. The standard of English is terrible, who writes the stuff??! While the female presenters pronounciation was reasonably good (if, unfortunately Americanised), some of the grammar was absolutely terrible. I assume that this is aimed at the English students, rather than the English speaking foreigners here, which is pretty scarey, what are these kids going to learn! During the news, we were also treated to a visit from Igor (Egor?!), a foreinger, presumably Scandinavian. Well it was nice to have an accent other than Taiwanese/American, but Christ his English wasn't great either, I was having trouble trying to figure out what he was saying half the time, must be pretty depressing for English students who I'm sure got about 5% of what he said. Well Igor gave us a load of bull for about 30mins, lectures us on morals, and how we should be careful when choosing a boy friend etc etc. Why of why don't they hire a native speaker to look over the scripts?! I'd almost do it for free but, even as a native speaker, I don't feel qualified to write news reports which will be used to educate the masses! So, whilst it was nice to get the news in English, I didn't bother with the second half and don't think I'll be making any special effort to tune in again in the near future. Nice try, but put just the slightest bit more effort in and it could be a winner, and hire a foreigner (other than Eegor)!
SuperS54
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

English News!

Postby <a little info> » 27 Feb 2002, 18:38

No Igor isn't a Scandinavian, but actually a Russian, and as far as I'm aware (so a friend who has worked with him tells me) he was hired for his Mandarin skills, not his English-language ability.
So go figure that one ... more power to you! (or is it them?)
<a little info>

English News!

Postby Mark Nagel » 04 Mar 2002, 14:01

What channel is it on, and what time is it?
Mark Nagel

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Open Forum