Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Best song ever, what is yours?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby Brendon » 16 Nov 2005, 19:07

Ben Folds Five: Fair

I usually like songs because of, like, one bar in the middle, or a little guitar twiddle, or two lines of lyrics. But Fair gets everything right - great lyrics, lots of changes, weird bass sounds, silly harmonies, a blues outro ...

PS. Sandman: Another Girl Another Planet is _excellent_. It's a shame most of their other stuff is kinda uninspiring ...
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

4 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 16 Nov 2005, 19:11

Brendon wrote:PS. Sandman: Another Girl Another Planet is _excellent_. It's a shame most of their other stuff is kinda uninspiring ...

I always wondered why the Only Ones were such one-hit wonders.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby alidarbac » 16 Nov 2005, 19:25

(Whitney Houston's) "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written . . . about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible, in this world we live in, to empathize with others. We can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message. Crucial, really . . . as beautifully stated on the album.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Brendon » 16 Nov 2005, 19:34

And how do you feel about Phil Collins?
Brendon

4 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 16 Nov 2005, 19:35

As sandman said... impossible to name just one... I love lots and lots of music and different bands and different songs, originals and covers. Anything by the Dead inspires me... I always liked this one by the Dead:

Black-Throated Wind

Bringing me down,
I'm running aground
Blind in the light of the interstate cars.
Passing me by,
The busses and semis,
Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

But I'm here by the road,
Bound to the load
That I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars.
Alone with the rush of the drivers who won't pick me up,
The highway, the moon, the clouds, and the stars.

The black-throated wind keeps on pouring in
With its words of a life where nothing is new.
Ah, Mother American Night, I'm lost from the light.
Ohhh, I'm drowning in you.

I left St. Louis, the City of Blues,
In the midst of a storm I'd rather forget.
I tried to pretend it came to an end
Cause you weren't the woman I thought I once met.

But I can't deny that times have gone by
When I never had doubts or thoughts of regret
And I was a man when all this began
Who wouldn't think twice about being there yet.

The black-throated wind keeps on pouring in.
And it speaks of a life that passes like dew.
It's forced me to see that you've done better by me,
Better by me than I've done by you.

What's to be found, racing around,
You carry your pain wherever you go.
Full of the blues and trying to lose
You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know.

So I give you my eyes, and all of their lies
Please help them to learn as well as to see
Capture a glance and make it a dance
Of looking at you looking at me.

The black-throated wind keeps on pouring in
With its words of a lie that could almost be true.
Ah, Mother American Night, here comes the light.
I'm turning around, that's what I'm gonna do

Goin back home that's what I'm gonna do
Turnin' around,
That's what I'm gonna do

'Cause you've done better by me
Than I've done by you. . .

As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

257 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby Dangermouse » 16 Nov 2005, 21:13

And how do you feel about Phil Collins?

From the head down. Mind the facial hair.
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby guangtou » 16 Nov 2005, 21:21

In rough order of priority:

Pictures of You, Cure (a slow meditation for a heartsick soul).

God Save the Queen, Sex Pistols (still fresh after nearly 3 decades).

The Ship Song, Nick Cave (quasi-spiritual in that unique Nick Cave kind of way).

Rise, PiL (John Lydon cleaning out the cobwebs).

Blue Monday, New Order (techno buzz way before its time).

Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil (a beat with a conscience).

Betty's Worry or The Slab, Hunters and Collectors (reminds me of my truck driving days).

It's a Long Way to the Top, AC/DC (ditto).

Dancing Queen, ABBA (my Mum liked it and my cross-dressing alter-ego still does).
Forumosan avatar
guangtou
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby ceevee369 » 16 Nov 2005, 21:44

guangtou wrote:In rough order of priority:

Pictures of You, Cure (a slow meditation for a heartsick soul).

God Save the Queen, Sex Pistols (still fresh after nearly 3 decades).

The Ship Song, Nick Cave (quasi-spiritual in that unique Nick Cave kind of way).

Rise, PiL (John Lydon cleaning out the cobwebs).

Blue Monday, New Order (techno buzz way before its time).

Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil (a beat with a conscience).

Betty's Worry or The Slab, Hunters and Collectors (reminds me of my truck driving days).

It's a Long Way to the Top, AC/DC (ditto).

Dancing Queen, ABBA (my Mum liked it and my cross-dressing alter-ego still does).

That's the taste I like to see ! (except the AbbA THING) :notworthy: Guess most of us spent our "exploring youth" somewhere in the 80's no?
My collection honestly bought CD's are somewhat new wave - punk rock oriented.
Forumosan avatar
ceevee369
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
50 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby mod lang » 16 Nov 2005, 22:00

alidarbac wrote:(Whitney Houston's) "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written . . . about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible, in this world we live in, to empathize with others. We can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message. Crucial, really . . . as beautifully stated on the album.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 16 Nov 2005, 22:07

A Whiter Shade Of Pale by Procol Harum. They don't get any better.

"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum