Fundraising for Ma-ke and family

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Fundraising for Ma-ke and family

Postby vmcguire » 01 Oct 2006, 17:08

I have been trying to get information on the current status of Mark Selikoff. I know he is in Chang-Gen hospital and his mother/sister are here. Has he come out of the coma?

Moderators Note: This is a spinoff of the original Prayers for Ma-ke thread. For fundraising comments please post here. To continue the discussion regarding Ma-ke's condition, go to this thread
vmcguire
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Prayers for MaKe..

Postby vmcguire » 02 Oct 2006, 09:11

I remember Mark when he had hair! He had an incredible body as well - like a hulk. With his size and looks he was a catch - and to see him walking with his tiny girlfriend was a trip. I also remember his sister working at the school at the same time - she left Taiwan, he didn't. After his wife split he raised his daughter himself and I saw them together several times - at Metrowalk shopping mall and Subway (now Harvestime). Mark always does the talking, which is nice.

For any of you who use Side by Side books in teaching there's a lesson where the people don't see their famous friends often but when they do they love listening to all of their stories. That's what it's like with Mark.

Mark likely does not have insurance to pay for his hospital bills. Since he's not rich, any suggestions?
vmcguire

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Prayers for MaKe..

Postby purplepeopleeater » 02 Oct 2006, 11:14

vmcguire wrote:Mark likely does not have insurance to pay for his hospital bills. Since he's not rich, any suggestions?

The Taipei Times had a story today page 2. It said that TV star Jacky Wu, whose show Mark appeared on, has pledged to take care of Mark's medical bills and his wife and kids. Nice gesture.

He WILL recover.
purplepeopleeater
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Prayers for MaKe..

Postby vmcguire » 02 Oct 2006, 11:31

Today's story in Taipei Times says: "Upon learning of Selikoff's misfortune, local entertainer Jacky Wu pledged to do his best to aid Selikoff's family and help with his medical expenses." I do not read this as he'll take care of all of Mark's expenses. He'll certainly try to organize a fund raiser but more help will be needed (from us) - stayed tuned!
vmcguire

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Prayers for MaKe..

Postby MJB » 02 Oct 2006, 12:03

vmcguire wrote:Today's story in Taipei Times says: "Upon learning of Selikoff's misfortune, local entertainer Jacky Wu pledged to do his best to aid Selikoff's family and help with his medical expenses." I do not read this as he'll take care of all of Mark's expenses. He'll certainly try to organize a fund raiser but more help will be needed (from us) - stayed tuned!

Agreed...But it's still good news as Mark's bills are going to be extensive. No doubt more help will be needed.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby bobepine » 02 Oct 2006, 12:39

MJB,

Please DO NOT hesitate to let us know if money becomes an issue. We can set up a fundraiser here in Kaohsiung anytime. By all means.

I'd like to also echo HG's words. Get some rest everyone, and stay positive.
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Prayers for MaKe..

Postby vmcguire » 02 Oct 2006, 13:11

In general, fund raisers on a small scale are going to help but won't do the trick. More awareness nationally is required. We're planning to pass out fliers at the upcoming "Depose" President Chen rally in Zhongli. We're going to get volunteers to do that. I'm waiting now for the bank account information and can e-mail you the flier after it has been finished (first English and then Chinese). Please let me know your personal e-mail address so that I can pass these on.

Thanks for your willingness to help!
vmcguire

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 02 Oct 2006, 13:18

The obvious path is to get the big boys like Jacky Wu and co aboard as early as possible.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Prayers for MaKe..

Postby vmcguire » 02 Oct 2006, 13:26

Please give my Jacky Wu's contact information (if you can).
vmcguire

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 02 Oct 2006, 13:49

I suggest you co-ordinate this carefully, as the last thing you want is severaal small fund raisers going off at the same time or people will become distrustful.

You guys close to the epicentre know who you are and who Ma Ke's contacts are in the TV industry, use them.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum