Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Prayers for Mark Part 3

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Prayers for Mark Part 3

Postby xtrain » 04 May 2007, 14:44

Article in the TT today.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003359359

please take a minute and push some positive thoughts (or more) in the direction of mark and his family ...

Moderator's note: At 31 pages this thread was once again becoming unwieldy, so we now go into Part 3 of the Prayers for Mark thread. Please continue here...If you'd like some reference to the Part 2 thread, please look here.

I split the thread here because the Taipeitimes article seemed most relevent. Note that the link above is no longer working, as the Taipeitimes pulled the original article after protests from Mark's sister that many of her comments were taken out of context.
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 04 May 2007, 14:53

xtrain wrote:article in the TT today.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003359364

please take a minute and push some positive thoughts (or more) in the direction of mark and his family ...

Shit, that story is pretty sad. Real bummer about the Medical Insurance running out in October.

To all of Mark's family and friends (including Mark, obviously), I hope you manage to find a way through this.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

72 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 04 May 2007, 15:06

Though he has resided in Taiwan for 16 years and his wife and children are Taiwanese, Selikoff isn't eligible to receive local medical insurance beyond October, Rachael said.

This is because Selikoff never applied for permanent residency and cannot obtain "handicapped status" as a severely brain-damaged foreigner.

My ARC is up next month. I am SO applying for permanent residency.

It's a shame that Mark didn't, but christ, you'd think the government officials would make an exception...dolts.

I saw and spoke with Rachel last week at the fund raiser. Mark IS making progress, but there's not much if anything he personally can do to alleviate his cashflow woes.

It probably won't do much good, but I'm glad that the "stars" have been singled out for being shitheads. You don't make a promise like that and then forget about it.

And for the rest of us longtermers, get the permanent residency ARC when you can. You never know. And it's absolutely heartbreaking to see Mark's wife and two kids and imagine what they're going through.

They need a lawyer.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 04 May 2007, 15:24

He surely had a JFRV though? That would make him eligible, wouldn't it?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 04 May 2007, 16:40

Why does the article mention his "aboriginal" wife? How is that relevant to anything?
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 04 May 2007, 16:41

It's the TT. Why on earth would you expect relevance?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 04 May 2007, 16:46

It probably won't do much good, but I'm glad that the "stars" have been singled out for being shitheads. You don't make a promise like that and then forget about it.

I regret making this comment. From what I know, none of the "celebrities" has been in to visit Mark in a long time.

A little bird has informed me though that a LOT of money has been donated to Mark's cause, and not all of it has come from the fundraisers.

My sincere apologies. I should not have written that.

This is just a terribly painful situation that seems to keep getting worse for the big guy and his family.

Again, my apologies. :oops:

jds
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 04 May 2007, 17:11

jdsmith wrote:My ARC is up next month. I am SO applying for permanent residency.

It's a shame that Mark didn't, but christ, you'd think the government officials would make an exception...dolts.

Yeah, it's easy to think that ARCs and so-called permanent residency exist to codify the rights of people who have earned them. That would, after all, be the decent thing for the government to do.

But officials here all too often treat applications for renewal or upgrading of status in Taiwan as opportunities to find excuses to rid the island of any foreigners who, in the eyes of the officials, cease to be an asset to the island. Thus, for example, a medical exam is imposed upon people applying for PR despite the fact that they've been living here for years and had to pass one earlier to receive an ARC. The purpose of this is damn sure not to help see that foreigners with problems receive proper medical care here.

I've decided, too, that the time has come for me to jump through all those extra hoops for PR.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 04 May 2007, 18:07

sandman wrote:He surely had a JFRV though? That would make him eligible, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I'm quite surprised about this as well. I've gone through the NHI Act and don't see why having an APRC or not would make a difference. In fact, the "Enforcement Rules of the NHI Act" specifically states that the ARC and APRC are equivalent under the Act. The only special rules applicable to foreigners are those in regard to qualification after arriving (may need to wait 4 months in some cases) and what happens after leaving. I don't see anything specific to foreigners which would cause coverage to lapse if they don't leave the country. Anyone know more details about why he's going to lose coverage?
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 04 May 2007, 18:41

is it possible to launch an administrative complaint on behalf of Mark?
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

57 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum