Pet Peeves

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby finley » 28 Nov 2011, 13:36

I always choose "United States Minor Outlying Islands."

Taiwan should just officially adopt than name and solve several problems at once ;)
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 28 Nov 2011, 15:42

Icon wrote:Noises at night. especially when you want to go to sleep early and the whole universe conspires against you:

9pm: me and 4 cats in bed, like a letter in an envelope

10pm: neighbor decides to start the KTV soulfull mourning...

12pm: baby next door does not want to go to sleep. Dad slaps him silly.

1:30am: neighbors are fighting, police scooter comes by my alley, argument ensues, dog barks -my dog is sensitive to noise-, someone calls someone nuts and end of story.

Earplugs!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 28 Nov 2011, 22:31

finley wrote:

Taiwan should just officially adopt than name and solve several problems at once ;)

Also have your zipcode as 90210.. Its been working for me for years. Although, in fairness it IS easy to confuse me with a rich Beverly Hills teen.
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 28 Nov 2011, 23:13

Chris wrote:
Icon wrote:Noises at night. especially when you want to go to sleep early and the whole universe conspires against you:

1:30am: neighbors are fighting, police scooter comes by my alley, argument ensues, dog barks -my dog is sensitive to noise-, someone calls someone nuts and end of story.

Earplugs!

New neighborhood.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

803 Recognized(s)

Postby tash » 29 Nov 2011, 04:40

Chris wrote:

Earplugs!

I'm still dependent on earplugs, four years after leaving Taiwan :roll:
tash
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

24 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 07 Dec 2011, 01:03

In one of my jobs, I often translate essays with the student (the client) sitting next to me. Some peeves:

1. Students who read aloud everything I type as I type it. Sorry, it's distracting. Worse is students who keep fidgeting or shaking a leg as I work. Stop it, please.

2. Students who think they can just grab my mouse when they please, or place their arms or personal effects on my mousepad. Sorry, I'm using it.

3. Students who start explaining what the next clause is about just when I'm trying to read it myself and formulate a suitable English equivalent in my mind. I know you're trying to help, but please stop: I'm not staring into space; I'm thinking.

4. Students who question practically every word I type. "Why did you write 'perhaps'? Why not 'maybe'? 'Hone'? What does that mean? 'Stand her in good stead'? Is that English? 'Ability to reason'? What's that? 'Well thought out'? Why 'out?' Hey, you typed two prepositions in a row! Are you really a native speaker of English?" :fume:

5. Students who, after I finish the case, say "By the way, I have another essay to translate." Um, why didn't you tell me at the beginning of the session, when I asked you if you had any other essays to translate?

6. Students who say, "Why did you leave out the part about me being a humble, unquestioningly obedient, filial little girl who is so dedicated to my work that I even came in to teach my kindergarten class when I was sick with a horrendous communicable disease?" (Sorry, I reserve the right to delete things that are culturally inappropriate.)

7. The following conversation:
Student: "Oh, you can go ahead and delete that bit."
Me: "Which bit?"
Student (pointing in a vague, general area of the computer screen): "That bit."
Me: "From where to where?"
Student: "Starting from there."
Me: "OK, and ending where?"
Student: "Ummm... ummmm... there" (never once pointing to an exact location)
Me: (Goes ahead and deletes everything the student seemed to indicate)
Student: No, not that bit...
Me: (Running screaming to an early grave)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 07 Jan 2012, 23:38

finley wrote:

Grrr, I just had to fill out a form that had a big long list of countries, including some things I'd never even heard of (French Southern Territory? Wallis and Futuna Islands? Tokelau?), but NO Taiwan, no ROC, no "Taiwan, Province of China", nothing. Not even a plain old China. :bluemad: This is for a job application, so I didn't want to pick something off the wall, so I had to suck it up and go with People's Republic of China as the closest option (I guess something sent to Taiwan, PRC would have a chance of making it here?).
This after wrestling with a form for another job that wouldn't let me input any phone numbers with more digits than a US number and didn't even have a spot to put your country, so I had to co-opt the state slot. God I hate human resources bureaucracy and online application forms :fume:

This post was recommended by NonTocareLeTete (29 Jan 2012, 18:42)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 13 Jan 2012, 16:46

The term "Chinese Taipei" when used outside an Olympic context.

Screw it, I'm peeved by "Chinese Taipei" in any context!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 13 Jan 2012, 21:28

Chris wrote:Screw it, I'm peeved by "Chinese Taipei" in any context!

Hear, hear!
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 14 Jan 2012, 11:10

I am the 50,000th viewer of this thread! Hurrah to me and the Chinese Taipei Ice Hockey League! :oops:

:wink:
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum