Woman murdered in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung)

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Postby ab12ra12 » 20 Nov 2007, 15:00

tommy525 wrote:But what she should have done is cry for mercy and plead temporary insanity......

Trouble is, she had the sanity to get the victims bank card password numbers before finishing her off.
ab12ra12
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Re: Woman murdered in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung)

Postby Marty » 02 Oct 2008, 10:27

There was something about this on the news 10mins ago. I couldn't catch most of what was said. They were taking him away with his head covered by a jacket.
Does anyone know what the latest info is?
Forumosan avatar
Marty
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Mr He » 02 Oct 2008, 10:41

The Filipina got sentenced to death.

If I read it correctly, David killed himself in the US in June.

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ ... 16xhf.html

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ ... 16wgl.html

I am rusty, details may be off.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

45 Recommends(s)
69 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Oct 2008, 10:42

Yes, I saw a headline this morning saying he had commited suicide in the US, in June apparently.
Yesterday the filipino girl was sentenced to death by the Taiwanese High Court so they dragged up this news although it seems not to have been widely known about his suicide previously. The details are all supposition saying he probably couldn't find work and was drinking heavily. He was already excused from the investigation. He hung himself in a park, says he wrote two letters or wills, one for the family and one for his girlfriend. Sad story really.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1476 Recommends(s)
553 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 Oct 2008, 14:09

Sad all around. I wonder if David was involved, even though he was exonerated for lack of evidence. Otherwise, why suicide? Taiwan rarely sentences women to death. Was it because she was phillippino?

IF she was American, they would do some sort of trade of prisoners I believe.

IM not saying she doesnt deserve death if shes guilty, just that we hope the sentence wasn't based on her passport?
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

522 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby lotusblossom » 02 Oct 2008, 19:45

tommy525 wrote:IM not saying she doesnt deserve death if shes guilty, just that we hope the sentence wasn't based on her passport?

Unfortunately, the decision to execute her is surely based on the fact that she is a poor Filipina from a poor country that has no political and economic clout. What's more, the economy here is in an appalling mess, so the KMT government - traditionally sympathetic towards capital punishment - will use her execution as a deterrent to all those bent on making trouble to behave themselves. In Saudi Arabia, where I lived and worked for 2 years, it was mostly poor foreigners from Pakistan, India, the Philippines, etc, who were beheaded so as to deter the general population from doing anything that might upset the status quo. Likewise, in America, where a disproportionate number of blacks sit on Death Row waiting for the chopper to fall. Case in point is Troy Davis, "who was sentenced to death for the murder of Police Officer Mark Allen MacPhail at a Burger King in Savannah, Georgia; a murder he maintains he did not commit. There was no physical evidence against him and the weapon used in the crime was never found. The case against him consisted entirely of witness testimony which contained inconsistencies even at the time of the trial. Since then, all but two of the state's non-police witnesses from the trial have recanted or contradicted their testimony. Many of these witnesses have stated in sworn affidavits that they were pressured or coerced by police into testifying or signing statements against Troy Davis".

Go here for the Amnesty story: http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty ... 28&n3=1412

If you're interested in JUSTICE, you can drop a letter to the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles and ask for clemency here: http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteap ... tion=11330

The Chen Shuibian government sought to do away with capital punishment, but it seems the KMT wants to bring it back, thus moving Taiwan back into the Dark Ages. For Amnesty's International Report on Taiwan for 2007, go here: http://www.amnesty.org/en/region/taiwan#report
lotusblossom
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 02 Oct 2008, 20:09

Unfortunately, the decision to execute her is surely based on the fact that she is a poor Filipina from a poor country that has no political and economic clout.

That's just crap. The government of the Philippines has enormous clout here -- especially in the field of Taiwan's indentured servitude -- sorry, I meant "overseas workers" and this case was observed VERY closely by both the Philippines and the various labor protection organizations and womens' groups here, lest she receive "rough justice." Not ONE of these had ANYTHING negative to say about the way justice was served in this case. Not ONE. You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Again.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 02 Oct 2008, 20:56

tommy525 wrote:Sad all around. I wonder if David was involved, even though he was exonerated for lack of evidence. Otherwise, why suicide?

LOTS of people commit suicide, and most of them are not 'involved'. If he had been depressed and troubled to begin with, imagine how much the stress of the whole case would weigh upon someone like that. He *was* exonerated, and now he's dead and can't speak to defend himself against such speculation. I'd say just let him rest in peace.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 02 Oct 2008, 22:10

Ashley, I have a far, far less sympathetic view of suicide.

The woman is not likely to be executed and very possibly about to spend at least 15 years in a Taiwan prison. His support would have been a better offer than his hissy fit death.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby mike_rophonechecker » 02 Oct 2008, 22:29

What a classic Forumosa thread, 28 pages of spouting and ridiculous moralising inspite of the sensitive nature of the topic, and total lack of evidence. New posters should be made to read this thread before they are allowed to post. This and the thread about the guy who was beaten half to death, then treated like a leper by this community when he posted about it.

Honestly, is Forumosa a spoof site or not?

The jury is still out in our house.

Can anyone say scurrilous?
mike_rophonechecker

PreviousNext

x

Return to Open Forum