Put your trivial knowledge to work making $$$

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Put your trivial knowledge to work making $$$

Postby Jaboney » 24 Jul 2008, 10:56

I'm willing to bet that someone on f.com could make a few bucks this way rather than whittling away the hours making bad puns.
NYT wrote:John Davis, a chemist in Bloomington, Ill., knows about concrete. For example, he knows that if you keep concrete vibrating it won’t set up before you can use it. It will still pour like a liquid.

Now he has applied that knowledge to a seemingly unrelated problem thousands of miles away. He figured out that devices that keep concrete vibrating can be adapted to keep oil in Alaskan storage tanks from freezing. The Oil Spill Recovery Institute of Cordova, Alaska, paid him $20,000 for his idea.

The chemist and the institute came together through InnoCentive, a company that links organizations (seekers) with problems (challenges) to people all over the world (solvers) who win cash prizes for resolving them. The company gets a posting fee and, if the problem is solved, a “finders fee” equal to about 40 percent of the prize.

The process, according to John Seely Brown, a theorist of information technology and former director of the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, reflects “a huge shift in popular culture, from consuming to participating” enabled by the interactivity so characteristic of the Internet. It is sometimes called open-source science, taking the name from open-source software in which the source code, or original programming, is made public to encourage others to work on improving it.

The approach is catching on. Today, would-be innovators can sign up online to compete for prizes for feats as diverse as landing on the Moon (space.xprize.org/lunar-lander-challenge) and inventing artificial meat (www.peta.org/feat_in_vitro_contest.asp).

This year, researchers at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the University of Washington began recruiting computer gamers to an online competition, named Foldit, aimed at unraveling one of the knottiest problems of biology — how proteins fold (fold.it).
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 24 Jul 2008, 17:15

i thought you were inviting me to the animals taiwan trivia night at Carnegie's.

sheesh. and there was some guy who invented sideways oil drilling to extend the range of ocean oil rigs by watching his son finish a milkshake with a bendy straw. I saw that on TV.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 24 Jul 2008, 17:50

I tried that while drilling a hole in my wall ... drill broke ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 Jul 2008, 20:42

I've often thought about patenting my own personal invention. It's a pill, about the size of a common-or-garden aspirin tablet, and you simply drop it into your petrol tank. It has this patented chemical reaction when it comes in contact with everyday tapwater that turns the liquid into vehicle fuel that has absolutely zero emissions and is therefore entirely pollution-free.
I'm still working out the details, but I bet you wouldn't even need to use tapwater -- if you were by a lake, say, you could just pop some lake water in there and it would work. Or seawater. Saliva, even, but you'd probably need quite a lot of people to help you in that case, unless I can refine the process to make one cc of water = to about a gallon of petrol. It can be done, I'm sure of it.
How much do I win?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 24 Jul 2008, 22:39

This South American body of water was named after breasts and excrement.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 Jul 2008, 22:49

Dr. McCoy wrote:This South American body of water was named after breasts and excrement.

WRONG! Only one breast. Give me the money.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 24 Jul 2008, 22:55

Please answer in the form of a question.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 Jul 2008, 23:06

Why haven't you given me the money yet?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 25 Jul 2008, 03:56

I'm sorry, the correct answer is 'What is Lake Titicaca?'
So, Burt Reynolds, it's still unfortunately your board.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Jul 2008, 09:48

Like Sandman, I've invented a pill, but this one is a type of male contraceptive. The best thing about it is that it has no side effects. You just put it in your shoe and it makes you limp.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

90 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum