Am I the only Forumosan who's ever smoked pot?

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

What drugs have you tried for recreational purposes at any time? Choose all that apply.

got drunk
12%
smoked pot
11%
smoked hash
10%
smoked opium
4%
shrooms
9%
peyote
2%
acid
7%
pcp
1%
barbituates (non prescription)
3%
amphetimines (non prescription)
6%
prescription drugs
4%
ecstasy
7%
ketamine
3%
coke
7%
crack
2%
meth
2%
heroin
2%
huffed paint/glue
1%
nitrous oxide
3%
never done any of the above
1%
never done any of the above except get drunk
2%
never done any of the above except get drunk and get stoned
1%

Total votes : 701

Re: Am I the only Forumosan who's ever smoked pot?

Postby Dragonbones » 26 Mar 2010, 11:39

TheGingerMan wrote:in the end I think it is the role of parents, and not the government (except for perhaps some actual useful information provided at school) to educate teenagers about the dangers of doing anything in excess. The government should rather be more concerned with regulating access to intoxicants, and maintaining quality control.

If the only danger were to one's own child if that child does something in excess, I might agree with it being only the role of parents, plus some actual useful info at school, as you put it. But what if the dangers of that behavior are to others, and to society as a whole as well? And what if it is a fact that large numbers of parents are failing in that duty to educate? Shouldn't concerned organizations of every kind, churches, Scouts, 4H and other youth groups, the Red Cross, and various levels of government then get involved in such education? (I'm not suggesting smoking pot in moderation is a danger to society here -- this is a general response to a very general statement, and it would be more broadly applicable to alcohol, drunk driving, firearm safety, harder drugs, risky sexual behavior, STDs, HIV-AIDS, teen pregnancy, date rape and so on.)
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 26 Mar 2010, 15:39

Huang Guang Chen wrote:
Buttercup wrote:Yeah, I know the risks are low, but decriminalisation sends out the message that there are no risks, where clearly there are, with skunk hybrids, and whatnot. Vulnerable teenagers with no smarts can end up psychotic. I'm not googling at work for the figures, but the incidence of schizophrenic symptoms connected to weed and decriminalisation policies have definitely had a correlation in the UK.

Informed adults should be free to do what they like, but they also have to take responsibility for the fact that this increases the risk to uninformed young 'uns by increasing the availability and social acceptance of these substances.

It's a greyer area than simply 'legalise it'.

Completely disagree. Any chump with a license can jump in a Ferrari or on a straight out of the shop superbike that can travel up to 300 km/hr. That potentially turns your, and any unwitting bastard you clip's, brains to a more permanently intense slurry than a few hits on a bong. You can also buy Panadol over the counter, indeed even in supermarkets here, and medical warnings on that have recently halved from 8 to four a day maximum, and accidental overdose is incredibly common. Then there's alcohol. Chumps is chumps.

I think stopping the needless damage to people shaped for life by petty dope convictions, or not so petty in states in Amerkkka where the three strikes and out law is applied, through legalisation or at the very least decriminalisation, far outway the risk of a few idiots overlooking simple common sense and repeated medical and government warnings and cooking their brains with super weed.

HG

Teenagers tend not to have access to Italian sports cars, and are not allowed to buy Panadol (in the UK, dunno about the US), and so on, though. You generally need to be an adult to really fuck yourself up. I'm not saying children should be criminalised, just that they should be told what's what, and not given the message that since half the adult they know do it, and there aren't any legal consequences, then it's a risk-free passtime. It's not, for a child. It's easy to say 'leave the fuckwits to it', but when they're twelve, they're pretty much all fuckwits. :lol:

Yes, parents should tell kids these things, but it's children who don't have parents, or have fuckwit parents who are arguably more vulnerable. All kids deserve to get this kind of info.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 26 Mar 2010, 17:30

Same argument holds for its continued criminalisation, in that it makes it attractive to rebelious teens. Legaising it would presumably come with some laws about who can use it and when, similar to alchol. Obviously, like the use of alcohol, it isn't going to stop kids using it, but it does open the door to educating kids honestly about the risk rather than prattling on about it's illegal, so you can't do it, which clearly hasn't stopped anybody.

The criminalisation of dope just adds another layer of needless potential harm to young users. Getting busted is a life changing event, not only if you happen to be over 18, in which case it could, for example, prevent you from working and living in a number of countries, professions, etc. Youth don't think about consequences, so plenty of young lives have been fucked by a moment's silliness, be it cars, drugs or diving off bridges.

In Australia, I've known of a few kids caught with dope at school, quite a number of whom werere expelled, cutting short their education and putting a millstone around their wee necks. It also brands them as the bad kids and runs them up against the law. The stuff grows like weeds and is equally abundant in every state despite the degree drug laws are enforced or the severity of those laws. Saying it's illegal simply doesn't change behaviour when the stuff's readily available.

As for stronger dope causing a spike in the number of psychotics or mentally ill, this is very hard to prove or quantify in any meaningful way. Invariably this turns into a chicken and egg argument. Was the person with the psychotic episode, who was also smoking dope, always prone to such an episode? What else were they taking? Potatoes, alcohol, prescription drugs? Would it have happened anyway? Is there just a greater percentage of young people smoking pot than before, and isn't this naturally reflected n the number of pot users hospitalised? Was the person using pot to self medicate for an existing and developing mental illness?

I'm very wary of all claims in psychiatry. Bear in mind that the a major reason the whole gammit of neurotic disorders entered the psychiatric lexicon is because the German army wanted to shoot shell shocked troops as deserters in WW1. Neurosis means inflammation of the nerves, and batlle neurosis of WW1 was initially thought to be an inflammation of the nerves due to proximity to the concussion of explosives. The German military jumped all over Freud's theories to show that it wasn't a physical ailment and therefore, sufferers could be shot rather than hospitalised and repatriated home. Needless to stay, this steadied the flow of people complaining about this particular malady.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 26 Mar 2010, 17:58

Under-18s don't get a permanent record with stuff like that, at least where I live. I'm not saying 'criminalise children', just that these decisions have ramifications and that there are grey areas. You can't rely on something as unquantifiable as 'parents' to get these things happening. Kids need information, and if all the aged are doing it, they won't have the same caution.

As for stronger dope causing a spike in the number of psychotics or mentally ill, this is very hard to prove or quantify in any meaningful way. Invariably this turns into a chicken and egg argument. Was the person with the psychotic episode, who was also smoking dope, always prone to such an episode? What else were they taking? Potatoes, alcohol, prescription drugs? Would it have happened anyway? Is there just a greater percentage of young people smoking pot than before, and isn't this naturally reflected n the number of pot users hospitalised? Was the person using pot to self medicate for an existing and developing mental illness?

Of course, it's unprovable, but a lot of people have anecdotal evidence and know more than one person, or person's relative who went that way. What 14 year old is going to recognise they have the potential for developing schizophrenic-umbrella mental illness, (even if great uncle Jim used to 'go away' a lot) and act accordingly, particularly when faced with a culture where 'everyone does it, including their parents and grandparents. It's not a case of criminalise / decriminalise, but a situation where kids get told 'Everything, absolutely everything's about your own personal choice -- now go and play.'

tbh, though, parents smoking is most likely to put someone off. 'Rebellion' isn't rebellion if your dad's sitting around eating pizza, watching snooker and listening to Captain Beefheart all weekend. It's laaaame. :lol:

I guess that's how things change. It was seen as middle-aged, or chavvy, when I was a teenager, so no-one did it. But 'Sorted for Es and Whizz*' was written for my generation. :lol:

*Also stupid, not particular dangerous, bad for motivation, potentially psychologically dangerous crap. The music was better, though.

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 26 Mar 2010, 19:05

Cannabis for personal use should have been legalized a long time ago...

Or at the very least decriminalized.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

59 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 26 Mar 2010, 19:07

Not going to happen in Taiwan.

Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 30 Jul 2012, 03:40

I was searching for import permits fo herbs adn somewhow this came up.

I know its old, I am posting anyway simply to point out some irony.

Cannabis is one of the essential Chinese herbs....as is ephedra which is illegal in China.

You know how we all think Taiwanese are ass backwards in some of their logic? Well, Taiwan driving logic basically is the sort that heads all kinds of controlled substance legislation. It would be fascinating if it were not so impossibly infuriating.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum