Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Postby Namahottie » 19 May 2010, 11:50

http://edition.CNN.com/2010/US/05/18/doll.study.parents/index.html

A 5-year-old girl in Georgia is being asked a series of questions in her school library. The girl, who is white, is looking at pictures of five cartoons of girls, all identical except for skin color ranging from light to dark.

When asked who the smart child is, she points to a light-skinned doll. When asked who the mean child is she points to a dark-skinned doll. She says a white child is good because "I think she looks like me", and says the black child is ugly because "she's a lot darker."

How many parents would subject their children to this sort of testing? And for what reasons? What are your thoughts or experiences with your kids growing up in Taiwan and how intelligence and other attributes are measured?
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Postby Jaboney » 19 May 2010, 12:06

"Subject their children to this sort of testing? And for what reasons?" The test was designed by a child psychologist to investigate perception. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with measuring intelligence, only perception. Why "subject"?

Her daughter is taking part in a new CNN pilot study on children's attitudes on race and her answers actually reflect one of the major findings of the study, that white children have an overwhelming bias toward white...
Biased towards self: that's unsurprising.

...and that black children also have a bias toward white but not nearly as strong as the bias shown by the white children.
Now that's interesting. I'd like to know why that is.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 19 May 2010, 12:12

Jaboney wrote:"Subject their children to this sort of testing? And for what reasons?" The test was designed by a child psychologist to investigate perception. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with measuring intelligence, only perception. Why "subject"?

Her daughter is taking part in a new CNN pilot study on children's attitudes on race and her answers actually reflect one of the major findings of the study, that white children have an overwhelming bias toward white...

...and that black children also have a bias toward white but not nearly as strong as the bias shown by the white children.
Now that's interesting. I'd like to know why that is.

So if this was done in Taiwan or based on your own experiences working with children in Taiwan what do you think the outcome would be?
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 19 May 2010, 12:14

I wonder how much of it is to do with perception and socio-economic conditions etc?

I have no idea of the area where they are from, but could it be that her experience of African-Americans is they don't work too hard at school ?(in her area). I only say that because I have read (although I don't have any references to hand) that African-American men are perennial underachievers in education as a group. I seem to recall seeing Bill Cosby having an interview with Larry King about it last year saying there needs to be some sort of shift towards better academic role models for black youth or whatever. Forgive me if my choice of words aint great.

I wonder if they did the study and showed these pictures:

and asked who was the most intelligent. They'd go for number 3 "because he looks more like me". :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby djlowballer » 19 May 2010, 12:15

Regarding the study, the results don't surprise me. I spent my early years in the poorer areas of Charleston and the ATL. If gave me the same test I would say white is the smarter one every time. When all you see is black people acting like this:

It isn't hard to see why a child would think that maybe white people are smarter. I would bet it is similar reasons why black children in the NYC area also had the "White Bias". I think tests like these are absurd.
djlowballer
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 19 May 2010, 12:22

Funk500 wrote:I wonder how much of it is to do with perception and socio-economic conditions etc?

I have no idea of the area where they are from, but could it be that her experience of African-Americans is they don't work too hard at school ?(in her area). I only say that because I have read (although I don't have any references to hand) that African-American men are perennial underachievers in education as a group. I seem to recall seeing Bill Cosby having an interview with Larry King about it last year saying there needs to be some sort of shift towards better academic role models for black youth or whatever. Forgive me if my choice of words aint great.

I wonder if they did the study and showed these pictures:

and asked who was the most intelligent. They'd go for number 3 "because he looks more like me". :ponder:

I look like #2..
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 19 May 2010, 12:28

djlowballer wrote:Regarding the study, the results don't surprise me. I spent my early years in the poorer areas of Charleston and the ATL. If gave me the same test I would say white is the smarter one every time. When all you see is black people acting like this:

It isn't hard to see why a child would think that maybe white people are smarter. I would bet it is similar reasons why black children in the NYC area also had the "White Bias". I think tests like these are absurd.

She needs to read a book NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 19 May 2010, 12:29

djlowballer wrote:Regarding the study, the results don't surprise me. I spent my early years in the poorer areas of Charleston and the ATL. If gave me the same test I would say white is the smarter one every time. When all you see is black people acting like this:

Thanks djlowballer, you just generalized a group of people. And being in those poorer areas you didn't see poor behavior across the board?

Did you ever think that the young white girl tended to think whites are smarter because she was seeing it as a reflection of herself? As Jaboney remarked:

Namahottie

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 19 May 2010, 12:30

This is a documentary along the same lines, Nama, et al.
It is a bit long, but worth the time.

http://documentarystorm.com/psychology/ ... t-are-you/
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 19 May 2010, 12:33

Wookiee wrote:This is a documentary along the same lines, Nama, et al.
It is a bit long, but worth the time.

Thanks but I don't think the issue mentioned in the OP is about racism/bigotry. I think this is more about identity or how we form identity, which in turn can be a foundation for racism/bigotry.
Namahottie

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum