Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Postby Namahottie » 20 May 2010, 00:08

divea wrote:Did anyone think of retesting the 5 year old. Give her an ice-cream, sit her down and redo the whole test......DIFFERENT answers. How do you base studies on what a 5 year old thinks as intelligent :loco: I am not saying 5 year olds don't have an opinion, but that their opinions change every 3 mins.
"My daughters are 4 and 2 years old. I didn't realize that at 2 years old I'd have to start teaching them to be proud of their skin color."

what??? :loco: How can you tell a 2 year old, 'you're brown my son and you should be proud'?

First part was good point. Yes you could teach a child at 2 to be proud of their skin color. It's right up there with telling to pee in the toliet and not on the floor and eat with your fork and not with your hands, etc.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 20 May 2010, 04:33

Why do we have to tell them to be proud of something that comes naturally. That's like telling them to be proud of the fact that they have eyes.

What children should learn is that skin comes in all kinds of shades of browns and that it merely an amount of melanin and not a yardstick for morality or intelligence.

I wish some people taught that to their kids instead of "Ooh, look, son! A black person!"
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 20 May 2010, 05:26

ImaniOU wrote:Why do we have to tell them to be proud of something that comes naturally.

Self love/esteem doesn't necessarily come naturally, no more than being patriotic does.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 20 May 2010, 05:26

There are a couple of problems with these tests, in that they are designed, as has been pointed out, to IMPLY that one is better than another, or that there is a right answer. Also, takers of these tests, adult or child, who have been exposed to a more diverse population, especially those who may be multi-lingual, will also through the results way off.

I was made to do a test similar to this as part of a graduate class on diversity. It came back that I have a strong bias against Chinese people! Well, everyone here should know that's bull. My son is Chinese and I love him more than anything in the world. The test did correctly indicate a bias, but it was a positive one.

Oh, and who ever sited the fact that African-American males as a group are educational underachievers needs to realize that there are many variables in that equasion, as well. One huge factor is that today's classrooms truly do have them set up to fail. There is a LOT about an average American classroom that works against an African-American male student.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 20 May 2010, 05:32

housecat wrote:I was made to do a test similar to this as part of a graduate class on diversity. It came back that I have a strong bias against Chinese people! Well, everyone here should know that's bull. My son is Chinese and I love him more than anything in the world. The test did correctly indicate a bias, but it was a positive one.

Is it bull that the test shows you're biased, but having a positive bias and you admit that it's right? :ponder:
Namahottie

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 20 May 2010, 06:35

Namahottie wrote:
housecat wrote:I was made to do a test similar to this as part of a graduate class on diversity. It came back that I have a strong bias against Chinese people! Well, everyone here should know that's bull. My son is Chinese and I love him more than anything in the world. The test did correctly indicate a bias, but it was a positive one.

Is it bull that the test shows you're biased, but having a positive bias and you admit that it's right? :ponder:

I didn't say it was bull, just wrong. It doesn't say good things about the design of the test, or its reliability, and thus its usefulness. And there's the added factor that they tell you that disagreeing with the results simply confirms the results! It CAN'T be wrong!
Forumosan avatar
housecat

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 20 May 2010, 07:40

The day Obama became president I did a little test in my class, and the results were much sadder than this one.

I placed three pictures of models I found in magazines. A Caucasian, Asian and Black girl. They voted the Caucasian the most beautiful, then the Asian, then the black one. The reasons why they thought the white girl was more beautiful was sad, and mostly because of things their mothers told them.

One girl even has her mom telling her if she pinches her nose she will get a nose like a foreigner. I also caught my co-teacher doing this to the same class when I was teaching them a couple of years back. The kids were lining up, pinching their noses..and then the teacher yelled to the boys that they don't need to do it. This of course made my blood boil and I took the rest of the day to show them videos of how people are photoshopped in magazines and trying to give them some pride.

One day after a 'yucky chocolate boy' remark I covered all the books in my class with brown paper to try and get the kids to see that you can't look at the outside of a book and just think it's bad..you need to get to know it first....

I don't know if this kind of thing will ever stop in Taiwan though.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

24 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 20 May 2010, 07:50

Battery9 wrote:The day Obama became president I did a little test in my class, and the results were much sadder than this one.

I placed three pictures of models I found in magazines. A Caucasian, Asian and Black girl. They voted the Caucasian the most beautiful, then the Asian, then the black one. The reasons why they thought the white girl was more beautiful was sad, and mostly because of things their mothers told them.

One girl even has her mom telling her if she pinches her nose she will get a nose like a foreigner. I also caught my co-teacher doing this to the same class when I was teaching them a couple of years back. The kids were lining up, pinching their noses..and then the teacher yelled to the boys that they don't need to do it. This of course made my blood boil and I took the rest of the day to show them videos of how people are photoshopped in magazines and trying to give them some pride.

One day after a 'yucky chocolate boy' remark I covered all the books in my class with brown paper to try and get the kids to see that you can't look at the outside of a book and just think it's bad..you need to get to know it first....

I don't know if this kind of thing will ever stop in Taiwan though.

It will never stop anywhere, but you have to fight the good fight. Good on you.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 20 May 2010, 08:59

Battery9 wrote:I placed three pictures of models I found in magazines. A Caucasian, Asian and Black girl. They voted the Caucasian the most beautiful, then the Asian, then the black one. The reasons why they thought the white girl was more beautiful was sad, and mostly because of things their mothers told them.

Maybe you just didn't use the right pictures. Here, try again.

Who is sexiest: black, white or Asian?

Image Image Image

Hmmmm. . . :ponder:
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 20 May 2010, 09:37

I would be livid, if a teacher was doing 'race' tests in my kid's class. Or religion tests or whatever. A teacher is not qualified and should not be asking who is better etc. in a class.

B9, for you it maybe a big issue that Obama became prez, not for the kids in your class. And honestly, look at Obama, he is white!!! Don't go by his skin colour, even his own wife says she was at first nervous to meet his family because he was 'white'. The day blacks stop touting Obama as the 'Black President', he would no longer be referred as one. He should be Mr. President, blackness (whiteness or brownness) not withstanding.

ANd while I am at it, I'll reiterate, how unfair, biased and racist it is to refer to the Mongloid race as Asians, while we Indians are left out of it. When we refer to ourselves, we call ourselves Asians too. When we talk about culture, we will often say that all Asian cultures have shenme shenme shenme in common.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

352 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Open Forum