Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

MBA

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: MBA

Postby mabagal » 09 May 2011, 18:37

Definitely the right school is whichever one gives you the best options and jump-start for what you want to do afterwards.

There are fellowships available at pretty much any school depending on the concentration. For example, at MIT there is an operations concentration with an attached fellowship that makes school basically tuition free. There is a commitment fo r the student to go through a matching to a sponsoring company for the summer internship but what students do after the internship is up to them. It is a dual degree which means a little bit more course load; this part of the class starts in the summer before the rest of the MBA class starts in late August.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 09 May 2011, 21:34

steelersman wrote:Is it worthwhile to take a GMAT prep class before taking the GMAT?

Currently I have been accepted into a Speech Language Pathology program and am debating applying for an MBA or going into Speech Language Pathology?

The main ingredient is I really want to get out of teaching English.

I think there are more choices than the two above if you want to get out of teaching English. I see you want to work in the Middle East, have you actualy lived and worked there before? Getting further education is rarely a bad idea, but there should be a lot more choices of getting out of teaching English than doing the two post grads that you have mentioned here. Maybe you like teaching but not teaching English no? If you want to teach you could get a teacher's certificate, think about teaching something else if English is not doing it for you, or try to go the PhD route and become a lecturer. Anyway we all have to make choices sometimes but I would be wary of forking out big bucks for anything unless you are determined to go down a certain route.
I'm not a career coach, there are people out there who can help you look through your goals and your personality.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
578 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 09 May 2011, 23:00

Thank you for the advice. Neither choice would put me in debt. If I study to be a Speech Language Pathologist I will live with my parents and go to a state school.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 10 May 2011, 00:34

headhonchoII wrote:
steelersman wrote:Is it worthwhile to take a GMAT prep class before taking the GMAT?

Currently I have been accepted into a Speech Language Pathology program and am debating applying for an MBA or going into Speech Language Pathology?

The main ingredient is I really want to get out of teaching English.

I think there are more choices than the two above if you want to get out of teaching English. I see you want to work in the Middle East, have you actualy lived and worked there before? Getting further education is rarely a bad idea, but there should be a lot more choices of getting out of teaching English than doing the two post grads that you have mentioned here. Maybe you like teaching but not teaching English no? If you want to teach you could get a teacher's certificate, think about teaching something else if English is not doing it for you, or try to go the PhD route and become a lecturer. Anyway we all have to make choices sometimes but I would be wary of forking out big bucks for anything unless you are determined to go down a certain route.
I'm not a career coach, there are people out there who can help you look through your goals and your personality.

If you want to talk about putting out the big bucks then you are talking about getting a PhD. Even if one gets an assistantship they will earn like $20,000US a year for the next ten years. That is really giving up a lot of one's earning potential in life.

Not to mention how difficult it is to get hired as a university lecturer as well.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 10 May 2011, 05:23

I just finished getting my MBA. I don't agree with the notion that you go to a top school or not at all. Sure, the best graduates from the best business schools have the most options (with the highest salaries), but that doesn't make an MBA from a middle-range school "worthless". And it isn't all about the networking, either, there's also content. If your goal is to move into management, you will benefit from learning how to read a balance sheet and other financial statements, how to conduct a present value analysis and compare the future prospects of numerous projects, how to conduct a statistically significant QC inspection, how to conduct a market analysis and figure out if your new product will be in demand, how to use quantitative methods to evaluate the efficiency of a manufacturing plant, etc etc.

You don't have get to 100-150k in loans and go to Wharton full time. Lots of firms will pay for your MBA if you go part-time to a public university, usually part of placing you on a management track. That's the path I took. I have no idea what the future will hold, but I think it was worth my time.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

144 Recommends(s)
272 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 10 May 2011, 06:27

Well I am looking into the American University in Beirut. Most full time students get an assistanship which includes a 70 percent tuition waiver and a stipend. For around $10,000 US which I have in savings I can get an MBA and live in Lebanon.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 13 May 2011, 09:11

Personally, I would not go for a master's in Speech Pathology unless it were a field I was strongly interested in. Such a specific degree limits one's career options, I imagine. Not a problem for people who really want to work in the field, of course, but perhaps not ideal for someone who just wants to do something other than teaching. Since your goal is to work internationally, I would say either business school or law school would be good options. Law school is the better choice, I think, given that once you get your degree and pass the bar, you'll have a specific skill that few non-US nationals will have. That will make it easier to get a job and a work visa just about anywhere. My understanding is that American lawyers working abroad are seldom on the bar in the country they work; they are legal "consultants", officially, and focus solely on the aspects of cases pertaining to American law. I recommend narrowing your focus beyond "something other than teaching". What interests you about business? Do you want to work in management, logistics, marketing, finance? It may be beneficial to hone in on a field, and figure out the educational requirements from there.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

144 Recommends(s)
272 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 13 May 2011, 11:12

Funny that I took the LSTAT when I was a senior and probably have been accepted to any law school in Pittsburgh that I would have applied for. With my undergrad GPA and LSTAT score going to law school would have been easy except for the $100,000 debt.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 13 May 2011, 11:13

I am interested in finance or management.

One reason I am interested in international business is that I hope to actually be able to use my Mandarin and German skills.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 13 May 2011, 11:22

Are you functionally fluent in those languages? Can you negotiate a multimillion dollar contract in those languages? Can you advise subordinates, investigate suppliers, soothe angry customers about to take their business elsewhere? If the answer is no to any of the above, I wouldn't worry too much about using your foreign languages.
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

144 Recommends(s)
272 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Open Forum