French translation help needed

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

French translation help needed

Postby AAF » 11 May 2011, 21:07

Could somebody please help me with this letter I have to write to a French airport store?
Is it understandable and correct?

Cher Monsieur / Madame

surchargée

J'ai joint une copie d'un reçu d'articles que j'ai acheté dans votre magasin à l'aéroport.
J'ai été facturé deux fois pour le même article. Parce que j'étais pressé, je n'ai pas vérifié mon reçu avant de quitter. Comment puis-je me faire rembourser l'élément le second?

Sincèrement
靜夜思》 床前明月光,疑似桌上飯。 舉頭望明月,低頭吃便當。
AAF
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: French translation help needed

Postby yuli » 11 May 2011, 21:19

AAF wrote:Could somebody please help me with this letter I have to write to a French airport store?

Unfortunately neither :noway: - but what Google has done can (almost) be undone:
"Overcharged
I have attached a copy of a receipt for items that I bought in your store at the airport.
I was billed twice for the same item. Because I was in a hurry, I did not check my receipt before leaving [the store]. How can I get a refund [for the second] the item the second?"

Let's start from that. :) I suspect there are people on Forumosa who can write better French than me, but if nobody shows up I'll help you...
 Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

374 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Captain Stag » 11 May 2011, 21:20

AAF wrote: Comment puis-je me faire rembourser l'élément le second?

better to write: S'il vous plait, pourriez-vous m'aviser comment procéder pour un remboursement complet de la charge supplémentaire?

The rest is understandable and doesn't really need editing unless you want to get poetic....
Forumosan avatar
Captain Stag
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby AAF » 11 May 2011, 21:33

Thanks for your help guys. But even if there are small mistakes, I would appreciate your advice. I'm a little like Mr. Monk when it comes to these things.
AAF

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 11 May 2011, 21:35

AAF wrote:J'ai été facturé deux fois pour le même article. Parce que j'étais pressé, je n'ai pas vérifié mon reçu avant de quitter.

Add "le magasin" after "quitter".
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 11 May 2011, 21:39

Captain Stag wrote:The rest is understandable and doesn't really need editing unless you want to get poetic....

Hm... replacing "Parce que" with "Puisque" makes it easier to understand without any added poetic value. :wink:
And as has been recommend already, "quitter le magasin" (see the text in brackets in the backtranslated English)...
 Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli

374 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby fafagnon » 11 May 2011, 22:15

I would strongly suggest :

"Surfacturation" instead of "surchargée" (other meaning, more like overweight or overloaded)

Maybe Bien cordialement instead of sincèrement

or even (since they still very fond of formal stuff and there is some money at stake...) :

En vous remerciant par avance de bien vouloir traiter ma requête diligemment, veuillez Madame, Monsieur, agréer l'expression de mes sentiments distingués.

Fait à (city/country), le (DD/MM/YY this order !!!) your signature

Take care
fafagnon
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Captain Stag » 12 May 2011, 00:01

yuli wrote:
Captain Stag wrote:The rest is understandable and doesn't really need editing unless you want to get poetic....

Hm... replacing "Parce que" with "Puisque" makes it easier to understand without any added poetic value. :wink:
And as has been recommend already, "quitter le magasin" (see the text in brackets in the backtranslated English)...

whatever....getting the point across is what counts here. It's not like he's writing the President de la Republique.....modern French is unnecessarily complex versus old-school French-Canadian French, which doesn't get all technically redundant...
Forumosan avatar
Captain Stag

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Franck de Taiwan » 13 May 2011, 17:59

AAF wrote:Could somebody please help me with this letter I have to write to a French airport store?

Cher Monsieur / Madame

surchargée

J'ai joint une copie d'un reçu d'articles que j'ai achetés dans votre magasin à l'aéroport.
J'ai été facturé deux fois pour le même article. Parce que j'étais pressé, je n'ai pas vérifié mon reçu avant de quitter. Comment puis-je me faire rembourser l'élément le second?

Sincèrement

Monsieur,

Veuillez trouver ci-joint la copie du ticket de caisse relatif aux articles que j'ai achetés dans votre magasin à l'aéroport.
Il s'avère que j'ai été facturé(e) deux fois pour le même article. Parce que j'étais pressé(e) je n'ai pas vérifié le ticket de caisse avant de quitter votre établissement. Comment puis-je me faire rembourser?

salutations respectueuses,

I really doubt you'll get a refund from the store. Plus it's very possible this is a trick to get more money from travellers. I won't even try to get reimburse, after all checking a receipt is a matter of a few seconds, being in a hurry is not a valid excuse.
Franck de Taiwan
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

6 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby AAF » 14 May 2011, 08:10

Thanks a million to all of you for your help. I do appreciate it.
AAF

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Open Forum