How to spot a psychopath

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan, Rockefeller

Forum rules
Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Temporary Forum.

Re: How to spot a psychopath

Postby Fox » 27 May 2011, 12:48

We should allow the calling of 'Psycho' on forumosa based on the criteria to see if we can't weed out a few of these creeps. I've cut and paste the list of traits here.

Item 1 Glibness/superficial charm (sandman)

Item 2 Grandiose sense of self-worth (threadkiller)

Item 3 Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom (tommy)

Item 4 Pathological lying (fox)

Item 5 Cunning/manipulative (fred smith)

Item 6 Lack of remorse or guilt (Robin in the Sun)

Item 7 Shallow affect (tommy)

Item 8 Callous/lack of empathy (sandman)

Item 9 Parasitic lifestyle (jimmy)

Item 10 Poor behavioural controls (sandman)

Item 11 Promiscuous sexual behaviour (tommy)

Item 12 Early behaviour problems (guyintaiwan)

Item 13 Lack of realistic long-term goals (threadkiller)

Item 14 Impulsivity (tommy)

Item 15 Irresponsibility (Robin in the Sun)

Item 16 Failure to accept responsibility for own actions (Muzha Man)

Item 17 Many short-term marital relationships (Some of those guys in the divorce threads)

Item 18 Juvenile delinquency (tigerman)

Item 19 Revocation of conditional release (tainancowboy)

Item 20 Criminal versatility (HG)
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

64 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 27 May 2011, 13:02

Could someone give me an ordinary, real-world example of the behaviour of somebody with 'shallow affect'? I don't get what it means.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 27 May 2011, 13:03

That's a bullshit list. I'm up for every category except the marital relationships one. ME! Pick ME! MEEEE! Or I'll come round your place with a machete when you're asleep. OK, I have no machete. But I do have a ukulele and I'm not afraid to use it.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 27 May 2011, 13:08

Surely you'd feel remorse if you smashed up your ukulele.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 27 May 2011, 13:08

bababa wrote:Could someone give me an ordinary, real-world example of the behaviour of somebody with 'shallow affect'? I don't get what it means.

Yes.

Example:
sandman wrote:That's a bullshit list. I'm up for every category except the marital relationships one. ME! Pick ME! MEEEE! Or I'll come round your place with a machete when you're asleep. OK, I have no machete. But I do have a ukulele and I'm not afraid to use it.

Definition:
Shallow affect: Emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox

64 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 27 May 2011, 13:26

Thanks.

I wonder how psychologists actually use this list as a diagnostic tool. Some of the things mentioned are objective: revocation of parole, criminal behavior (if caught), many short-term marriages - but a lot of them would depend on the reporting of the subject, who by definition is charming and a glib, manipulative liar. If you like someone, he's fine; if you don't like someone, you see all these signs of psychopathology in him.
bababa

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 May 2011, 14:07

bababa wrote:Could someone give me an ordinary, real-world example of the behaviour of somebody with 'shallow affect'? I don't get what it means.

'affect' means emotional response. 'shallow affect' or 'flattened affect' just means an emotional response more limited than you would expect (either positive or negative). It sometimes occurs in child-abuse victims who have 'switched off' as a defense against abuse. Star Trek's Mr Spock is a caricature of shallow affect. It doesn't mean the same thing as the colloquial 'shallow'.

I wonder how psychologists actually use this list as a diagnostic tool. Some of the things mentioned are objective: revocation of parole, criminal behavior (if caught), many short-term marriages - but a lot of them would depend on the reporting of the subject, who by definition is charming and a glib, manipulative liar. If you like someone, he's fine; if you don't like someone, you see all these signs of psychopathology in him.

They don't. The actual diagnostic tool is a questionnaire with a manual detailing its correct use; the tool purports to measure those things in the list. But you won't ever see it published. The official reason is that it's a medical diagnostic tool and that it could be dangerous in the wrong hands; qualified personnel only. The actual reason is that it allows psychologists to experience a "grandiose sense of self-worth" ;) Also ... it costs a lot of money to buy the test kit.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 27 May 2011, 20:42

sandman wrote:That's a bullshit list.

I think this needs correction!
Item 2 Grandiose sense of self-worth (threadkiller) Maoman
:lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 27 May 2011, 22:00

It's very important to bear in mind that there's a scale at work here. Psychologists plot personalities on this sort of scale. The most cringeworthy of their determinants is "border-line personality disorder." That's mental health "professional" speak for a right arsehole.

We're all guilty at some plot on a bar graph of the following. The key point is at what end of the scale.

For good old fashioned Hollyweird psychopath (AKA sociopath) you just can't beat "Lottie, the curse of Millhaven." Perfect crux nabbed by Nick. Remorse. The essential component of a psychopath is the lack of remorse. They can't empathise with other people, so they can't possibly feel their pain, even when they caused it.

[youTubeBB3]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3927741/the_curse_of_millhaven/[/youTubeBB3]
Now I got shrinks that will not rest with their endless
Rorschach tests
I keep telling them they're out to get me
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!

So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
Singing la la la la la la la lie
All god's children they all have to die
La la la la la la la lie

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 13 May 2012, 22:34

Another interesting and related NYT article
Can you call a 9-year-old a psychopath?
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Open Forum