Need a hole drilled in my concrete

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Need a hole drilled in my concrete

Postby stevef » 11 May 2012, 15:11

All the locals are doin' it, why can't I? Is there some kind of tradesman who owns a hammer drill and bits. Just need one hole drilled through 6 inches of concrete. Then I can run the wireless antennae straight up to the top floor. Maybe I can convince a plumber or electrician to do it. Or the air conditioner guy.
stevef
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Need a hole drilled in my concrete

Postby Dragonbones » 11 May 2012, 15:51

Te4li4wu1 (formerly B&Q) rents drills.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 11 May 2012, 20:23

You need a rotary hammer with an SDS bit, not a hammer drill.

No way is a hammer drill going to get through 6 inches of concrete - you couldn't buy masonry bits that long anyway.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 13 May 2012, 01:22

My wife after a bottle of vodka can kick the shit out of 6 inch of concrete. Give her a half hour after the bottle, then stand back and point the way. Voila! A hole in the concrete. Be careful what you wish for.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby ncaraway » 13 May 2012, 09:59

Our AC guy was here recently and we asked him to drill a hole so we could hang a picture. He happily complied. We don't own a lot of tools and my wife always asks the various service people to do favors like this for us whenever they're here.
ncaraway
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 13 May 2012, 13:47

walk through your neighborhood, find a shop that looks like they may use a drill (shuidian, a/c guy etc...), ask the guy to come help you. Should cost fuck all and a hell of a lot easier than renting a drill and buying the screws, anchors etc...
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby stevef » 13 May 2012, 21:48

Thanks guys. Yeah, in conjunction with the move, we are moving our A/C. So I'm asking my wife to ask him to bring his rotary hammer. I figure A/C guys have to have those to send those tubes through the walls sometimes.

Dragonbones, appreciate your suggestion, sorry to see everyone piling on. Though, I do hate B&Q in general.
stevef

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby stevef » 14 May 2012, 11:42

The AC guy is here, 2cm minimum diameter, with this drilling rig that looks like something out of Mission Impossible. Water fed. He didnt' even need to use the hammer part. (Too bad, I wanted to get in some payback for all the rotary hammers that ruined my sanity over the years). Took him about 2 minutes to get through 10cm of concrete wall.
stevef

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 14 May 2012, 14:18

Water is used to cool diamond hole-boring bits. You're right, they don't hammer - they grind away the concrete and rebar and leave you with a smooth hole and a core to keep as a souvenir. Definitely one of those "big boy's toys" I'd love to try one day.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 14 May 2012, 23:25

I had the same problem with the Yellow store when I bought our new air-condition.

I made sure they understood and promised that they could drill that hole for the pipes.
So, when the guys came to install it, I was at work and they just put the pipes through my windows simply leaving the window open.
Completely ridiculous! We even agreed on an extra 1000 NT$ for drilling the hole.
After complaining heavily at Yellow store these guys came again and still refused to drill the hole. I gave up and had them put the pipes through the old one unit air-condition space.
For the extra distance needed they charged us 4000NT$ additional coper pipes. I put up a big fight at yellow store but to no avail.

Finally two years later we had to replace our gas-pipe. The plumber didn't have a problem drilling that D.F.H. Took him 15 minutes or so. He even didn't have to change the drill.
It is steel reinforced concrete though. But my wife kept encouraging him telling him throughout how good he was doing that.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?