a suit (good quality but not too expensive)

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

a suit (good quality but not too expensive)

Postby Florent » 20 Aug 2012, 21:27

Hi,

do you know a place in Taipei where I could buy a suit : good quality but not too expensive (I found some places where the quality was very poor and some other stores where it was expensive). And also do you know some stores where we can get good quality shirts ? (and of course not too expensive as well)

Thank you very much.

Florent
Florent
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: a suit (good quality but not too expensive)

Postby sandman » 21 Aug 2012, 16:47

The last one I got came from the Boss store on Anhe Rd in a sale. At just NT$40,000, I thought it was good value -- its less than a thousand British quid!!! Looks SHARP!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 Aug 2012, 17:47

you need to define 'expensive' because with suits that is a huge chasm.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

88 Recommends(s)
441 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 21 Aug 2012, 18:00

I highly recommend getting a custom suit. I never remember what I pay, but I don't think they're so expensive. It's not Saville Row, but I've always had trouble finding an off-the-rack suit that fit right. It's terrific buying one made precisely for you, that fits just right in every way. :)

If that might interest you, I'm sure lots of folks can recommend good tailors. I like mine, on Minsen E Rd near Dunhua N. Rd.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Florent » 21 Aug 2012, 19:57

Deuce Dropper wrote:you need to define 'expensive' because with suits that is a huge chasm.

My budget is less tant 15,000NT (I would prefer closer to 10,000NT).

Thank you for your answers.
Florent

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 21 Aug 2012, 20:11

NT$10,000 will get you a NT$10,000 suit. You can't have quality AND bargain-basement prices, unless you luck into a knock-down sale somewhere. Are there even suits available for less than that? It's not "not too expensive." Its about as cheap as you can get. And it will show.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 21 Aug 2012, 20:51

You might try looking on Zhongshan N. Rd. about 30 meters south of the intersection of Nanjing and Zhongshan, on the east side of the road. I want to say it has a Japanese sounding name.

I haven't been there for years, but if it's still around, it may have what you're looking for.
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby niaoahgin » 21 Aug 2012, 20:54

Very cheap suits can be had both "off the rack" and from tailors. Off the rack, made in China, suits can be had for a few thousand, although the materials and cut may not be to your liking. Alternatively, the tailor down the street said that she could make me a suit for less than 4,000 (44R or 46R). She has quite an array of fabrics and a fairly good reputation. I am sure that if you are willing to shell out a few more clams for your bespoke suit, you would end up with a very nice garment. [warning: these prices are based upon my experiences in Tainan]

If you time your purchase correctly, or have a good relationship with department store sales staff, you can also find higher-end suits at reasonable prices. I have found good deals at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi on last-season fashions (i.e., a quality Emanuel Ungaro suit for under 10,000) or special holiday offers (i.e., a gorgeous Daks three-piece for around 20,000). Alterations on such suits may run you 1,000 to 2,000, but are worthwhile for a good fit.
niaoahgin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 Aug 2012, 21:15

Florent wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:you need to define 'expensive' because with suits that is a huge chasm.

My budget is less tant 15,000NT (I would prefer closer to 10,000NT).

Garment district near the end of Nanjing Xi Loo. ll the other tailors in town farm out their work to that area, best to go down there and cut out the middle man.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper

88 Recommends(s)
441 Recognized(s)

Postby Florent » 25 Aug 2012, 10:34

I will check these tailors.
Florent

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?