Canning jars?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Canning jars?

Postby Optimus Prime » 28 Jun 2003, 00:51

I'm looking for 1/2 pint wide mouth canning jars. I use to can fruit in the US so I could enjoy it on the off season and would like to try the same thing with lichees and mangos here. I'd appreciate any info.
Optimus Prime

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby braxtonhicks » 28 Jun 2003, 07:58

A friend gets them every time she goes back to the states. I've never seen them here, and neither has she, and she's been here over fifteen years. If you find them, will you post here again?
Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy ~ Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik!
braxtonhicks
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)

Re: Canning jars?

Postby nemesis » 13 Jul 2012, 18:00

BUMP!

Any updates here? I have yet to see proper lids and seals, canning kits, even pressure cookers. I've seen some jars that would work, but proper mason jars would be great, too! I'm HOPING I just haven't found the right places to look; can anyone help?
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 13 Jul 2012, 20:19

heheheheheee. Your friend is the best resource. Not here - not now - not ever.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 13 Jul 2012, 20:24

Why in the hell would Taiwanese actually go to the time and expense of "canning" anything. Just go to the street and eat. This aint like Northern Idaho where we grew it, caught it it or shot it.
Sorry, no canning jars, lids or rings. But look on the positive side!
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 13 Jul 2012, 20:43

nemesis wrote:BUMP!

Any updates here? I have yet to see proper lids and seals, canning kits, even pressure cookers. I've seen some jars that would work, but proper mason jars would be great, too! I'm HOPING I just haven't found the right places to look; can anyone help?

Just Google for your desired item and add the name of a major online shopping site in Taiwan such as Ruten.
For instance: "pressure cooker ruten" turns up items like this http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21108157432723

For jars, I'm told you could try Zheng4zhou1 road, near Tian1shui3 Rd, which are near the west end of Nanjing Rd. in Taibei. Tianshui has the chemical supply stores, while nearby Tai4yuan2 Rd. has at least one shop with all manner of containers, but largely ones suitable for cosmetics (including DIY lip balm containers). And then Zheng4zhou1 is supposed to have ones more suitable for pickling and so on. Sorry, I don't have directions.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 14 Jul 2012, 14:02

Thanks so much; I'll check it out. I don't know the Chinese names of canning equipment, so have been reluctant to try Ruten. I had no idea it responded to English search terms! Thanks again! :bow:
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 14 Jul 2012, 15:08

Sometimes you can use English; at other times you have to get the Chinese, e.g. from Nciku.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 30 Jul 2012, 18:04

2Enigma wrote:Why in the hell would Taiwanese actually go to the time and expense of "canning" anything. Just go to the street and eat.

Ha, like my wife, you just don't understand.

1. Summer = Mangos

2. Winter = NO Mangos

3. Canning Jars = Winter Mangos

For years I've been planning to do what I need to, to enjoy mangos year round. This summer I intend to actually follow through.

Printed out a few recipes for mango chutney, went to the DIY baking store for mason jars and. . . DAMN, no mason jars.

So I saved up a bunch of jars of the right size that should do the job, but I expect at least I need paraffin.

(I've watched/helped my mom make jam many times, but never did it solo.)

Anyone know where I'd find paraffin?

So long as I've got that, I don't need mason jars (just use regular jars) or a pressure cooker (just boil them in a big pot), right?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 30 Jul 2012, 21:03

Firstchem on Tianshui street has reasonably priced paraffin.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?