edible fish to raise and eat

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

edible fish to raise and eat

Postby jdsmith » 05 Dec 2011, 18:59

Like tilapia or trout fingerlings.

I would like to raise them for my aquaponics set up and then, showing them my thanks for all their hard work, eat them. :lick: :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Re: edible fish to raise and eat

Postby justreal » 05 Dec 2011, 19:46

just wait until there big, no goldfish swallowing.
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 05 Dec 2011, 21:05

Contact the Council of Agriculture extension in Shulin and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Do you need directions or an address?
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 05 Dec 2011, 21:16

Okami wrote:Contact the Council of Agriculture extension in Shulin and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Do you need directions or an address?

Yes.

justreal wrote:just wait until there big, no goldfish swallowing.

The guy at the fish shop said you can pretty much eat any fish, but he's from Hong Kong. :lol:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 05 Dec 2011, 23:07

ok this place is a PITA to find and the entrance is really small. My google-fu is weak so here is what I got because the google maps for this area are over 6 years old. :roll:

Google map coords:

Just paste either one into google maps to give you the location. I'm not sure if they are as helpful as Dacun is in Zhanghua. If necessary I can head out to Dacun and ask, but it may take awhile. They should speak English in Sanxia as the guys in Dacun have good English. You're going to want to find the information center.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami

8 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 09 Dec 2011, 15:49

Okami wrote:ok this place is a PITA to find and the entrance is really small. My google-fu is weak so here is what I got because the google maps for this area are over 6 years old. :roll:

Google map coords:

Just paste either one into google maps to give you the location. I'm not sure if they are as helpful as Dacun is in Zhanghua. If necessary I can head out to Dacun and ask, but it may take awhile. They should speak English in Sanxia as the guys in Dacun have good English. You're going to want to find the information center.

This place may be close to my house. Can you get me a phone #? :pray:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 09 Dec 2011, 15:57

It is close, but as I said my google fu is not strong enough to get a phone number unless I head to Dacun which isn't going to happen when it's cold and rainy. Just walk in and look for the information center. You can literally walk around anywhere and probably be able to nick a lot of gear without anyone noticing for a couple weeks. :wink:

It has a small well-hidden entrance on that road.
Forumosan avatar
Okami

8 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 09 Dec 2011, 15:59

JD -

I can get you the best fish food for this venture.
All natural and it strengthens their immune system - which is very important in situations where you have higher stress levels with a lot of fish in the tanks.
Used by aqua-farmers farmers in Texas and elsewhere.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 09 Dec 2011, 16:50

Okami wrote:It is close, but as I said my google fu is not strong enough to get a phone number unless I head to Dacun which isn't going to happen when it's cold and rainy. Just walk in and look for the information center. You can literally walk around anywhere and probably be able to nick a lot of gear without anyone noticing for a couple weeks. :wink:

It has a small well-hidden entrance on that road.

We'll try and find it this weekend. :thumbsup:
TainanCowboy wrote:JD -

I can get you the best fish food for this venture.
All natural and it strengthens their immune system - which is very important in situations where you have higher stress levels with a lot of fish in the tanks.
Used by aqua-farmers farmers in Texas and elsewhere.

Can I get it here?
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 11 Dec 2011, 04:14

I personally love tillapia. any fish that can use algae is a good bet. unless you hate eating them I think they are the best bet here. If you really cant find them for sale (should be easy if you speak chinese, even I can find them...), buy a fish net and a headlamp and go "scouting" one night in fish farms. just need a few to get breeding your own. or wait for a typhoon/flood and ask a kid to get you a few...either way works equally well.

if you go for these cichlids then feeding is easy to make yourself if you wish to. they are omnivorous so can eat pretty much everything. worm bin for garden can supply some meat (worms) add in any left over fish (cooked) and add various vegs. blend, cook if needed, and dry. fish food for free. other things for protein can be used as well. in canada i used beef heart (cooked, dried and blended) I would say any beef or fish scrap is probably ok to use here.....might be wrong on the beef *here* but its probably good.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Where Can I Find...?