Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Best. Barbershop. Ever.

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Re: Best. Barbershop. Ever.

Postby Bobarctor » 29 Jun 2012, 21:40

downtownandrew wrote::2cents: Update:
Some of the MRT stops have a barbershop, for $100NT ( that you pay before you even enter the place) I received a haircut... or shall we say "trim"... and I received more compliments than this $400NT haircut did.

So if you have a no-frills, business style generic haircut, or very low maint. type of cut... I would give them a try. Not to mention they do have the machines that kill lice, etc. in their equipment
( though not sure if they really use it.)

I also believe that since they are hired by the MRT that they probably went through some kind of hiring process to show they have some skills - not a person cutting hair that just yesterday was picking up trash in the bathrooms of the MRT.

... and it takes 5 minutes. I hate wasting 2 hours for a hair cut.
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby downtownandrew » 24 Sep 2012, 15:13

Well my last haircut from the MRT was pure shit. Going back to the place originally mentioned. The MRT haircuts are strictly for trims, dont ever consider it for styling ( i.e getting allot of hair cut - when you have no pictures or good directions to give the servicer to understand.) . Unless ofcourse your styling only requires 90% electric razor.
Been here for over a year... Blue sky is the most beautiful thing to see when it happens in Taipei... a handful of times.
Forumosan avatar
downtownandrew

8 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 24 Sep 2012, 15:43

Rockefeller wrote:does anyone know how to get there taking the metro?

Yes, Nanjing E Rd station on the brown line. Changchun is one block north of Nanjing.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby haokaiyang » 24 Sep 2012, 22:46

darienpeak wrote:Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know how to say "tapered" or "skin fade" in Chinese? I doubt the google translate result and I don't think I can mime that. Do they have a picture book for "wo yao zhege"-age?

I have no idea if there's a specific word for "tapered" in Chinese, but it isn't a hard concept to explain. I'd say something like 從這邊下去要漸漸變短,最後短到消失 (cong2 zhe4bian1 xia4qu4 yao4 jian4jian4 [gradually; you could also say man4man4] bian4duan3, zui4hou4 duan3dao4 xiao1shi1). You can point at where you want the tapering to start when you say the first part, and then point at where you want the edge of the skin fade to be when you say the second part. My haircut is tapered as well, and this sort of explanation has always worked for me.

Of course, now that I have a regular stylist, I don't need to explain anything. She knows exactly what to do. If you live near Yonghe and speak Chinese, you can ask for Coinie at 想髮 (Ideas, it's called in English) on Yongyuan Lu (永元路). The service is just as good as the OP described. It's NT$480 for a cut and a wash/massage.
haokaiyang
444 Posts? Aack! I'm cursed!

19 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 24 Sep 2012, 23:06

downtownandrew wrote:I also believe that since they are hired by the MRT that they probably went through some kind of hiring process to show they have some skills - not a person cutting hair that just yesterday was picking up trash in the bathrooms of the MRT.

They're not hired by the MRT :roflmao: Maybe if the business owner can afford a shop in the MRT, they can afford to employ trained staff.... no pun intended.

The quality of the cut you get from these $100 barber shops varies from place to place and even from employee to employee in the same place. You can find them in a few MRT stations, Banqiao Train Station, shopping malls and other places. Quick and cheap. There's not much difference between the $100 place and the mid-range priced places. I've found both sometimes have un-trained staff with blunt scissors, but I don't need to pay $400 for washing my already washed hair, a head massage, a slowly executed mediocre hair cut, then another wash. I'm just not that metro-sexual :lol:
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

81 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby Diomedes » 01 Oct 2012, 23:53

TY for this info, I've had some crappy experiences since I've been here with lack of attention to detail.
Diomedes
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby omerojs » 05 Oct 2012, 16:21

hahahaha for a second i thought it was a "BarberShop" hahahaha
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Mandarin_You_Glad? » 16 Feb 2013, 16:20

Here's the address on Google Maps:
Union Bank of Taiwan, No. 328號, Zhǎngchūn Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 104
It's directly across from Union Bank and for whatever reason if you type in the address without typing in Union Bank of Taiwan it gives you an incorrect location.
Cheers!
Mandarin_You_Glad?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Impaler » 04 Sep 2013, 02:27

downtownandrew wrote::2cents: Update:
Some of the MRT stops have a barbershop, for $100NT ( that you pay before you even enter the place) I received a haircut... or shall we say "trim"... and I received more compliments than this $400NT haircut did.

Unfortunately the "QB" (or maybe it's "QC", I forget) barber shops in the MRT malls have raised prices and are now NT$300 for a cut. I don't get one often enough to worry about such outrageous prices, but it was still a surprise.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Miklos » 09 Sep 2013, 12:00

I tried this and it was not that good compared to my old stomping ground in Manila - Titan 22 - which is the best shave/cut/skin care/massage you can get for just 250 peso (+100 tip). If you are in Manila try it out - it's so worth the time/money. The best is the one close to High Street in The Fort/BGC.

I found an old barber guy in Ren'ai ($300 for shave/trim - http://goo.gl/maps/M7p7h - white/blue sign) that also uses hot towels but the cut in both places just aren't good enough to be a real barbershop - I have a beard also so I go for trimming as well as the clean shave but so far I'm looking for that very good place, English understanding would be a welcome bonus.

If anyone has had better luck in finding a real barbershop anywhere in Taipei please let me know.
Miklos

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?