Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

A Good Mid-range Telescope

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

A Good Mid-range Telescope

Postby tastybrain » 26 Mar 2012, 14:19

I'm looking for a decent mid-range telescope (probably around 130mm aperture or better) for as good a deal as I can get, though I' willing to put out up to or around 10,000NT for one. Also, any advice from more experienced astro-gazers about viewing in Taiwan would be appreciated. Thanks. I live in Taoyuan county but I'm willing to travel/drive to get to a good shop or to see a scope if it's second-hand and in good condition. Thanks.
“Do you happen to know what the penalty is for shooting a fricasseeing rabbit without a fricasseeing rabbit license?”
Forumosan avatar
tastybrain
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: A Good Mid-range Telescope

Postby cranky laowai » 26 Mar 2012, 15:47

GSO has a pretty good reputation and is a made-in-Taiwan brand, so perhaps their telescopes are a good deal here. Here's one a bit above your stated price range: GSO DOBSONIAN-6" F8 (NT$13,000).

I have no experience with any telescopes here, as the Taipei area's combination of cloudiness, air pollution, and light pollution make me want to cry almost every time some particularly interesting astronomical event occurs.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 26 Mar 2012, 16:31

Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby tastybrain » 27 Mar 2012, 00:51

Feiren wrote:http://www.comfort-optical.com.tw/

I can't seem to view the text on this website. Not sure why since I can view both traditional and simplified chinese characters. Menus are gobbledy-gook as are the text of any clicked on.
“Do you happen to know what the penalty is for shooting a fricasseeing rabbit without a fricasseeing rabbit license?”
Forumosan avatar
tastybrain
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Brendon » 27 Mar 2012, 04:50

tastybrain wrote:
Feiren wrote:http://www.comfort-optical.com.tw/

I can't seem to view the text on this website. Not sure why since I can view both traditional and simplified chinese characters. Menus are gobbledy-gook as are the text of any clicked on.

It's in Big5 but doesn't have the right tags for the browser to figure that out. You can set it manually: Tools -> Encoding -> Chinese Traditional (Big5) in Chrome, or View -> Character Encoding -> Chinese Traditional (Big5) in Firefox.
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

4 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?