SOCKS that aren't for little people

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Re: SOCKS that aren't for little people

Postby Chris » 11 Apr 2012, 17:28

neesh wrote:Many of the shoe shops specializing in sports shoes have athletic socks in larger sizes. You live in Xin Dian, so just hop on the MRT and head on over to Tai-Da Univ stop. There are plenty of athletic shoe shops within a couple blocks of the station.

That'd be Gongguan MRT station.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 15 Apr 2012, 04:02

I wear size 12/13 and the socks they sell at Costco fit me fine. Finding shoes on the other hand...
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby downtownandrew » 17 Apr 2012, 16:23

Yes the purchase of socks is a long process. After feeling the texture and persuming they are soft enough, I forgot to factor in the vicegrip like rubberband insert they sew inside the top of many of the socks here. Literally cutting off circulation in the process. Going to do my sock shopping in the states too.

Are the shoes designed differently here for this market too?

I never had problems with my ankles/top of my feet until being here for a long time. Shoes too tight for small Asian feet - compared to American sashquash even from Nike, Addidas, etc. ?
Been here for over a year... Blue sky is the most beautiful thing to see when it happens in Taipei... a handful of times.
Forumosan avatar
downtownandrew
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 17 Apr 2012, 18:08

have you ever tried a sports store? Or stores that sell Nike etc? I'm sure those basketball players need to buy theirs somewhere?

Gongguan (Gongguan MRT) has a couple of really cool sneaker stores..go to check there. It's not on Roosevelt, walk from the MRT in Roosevelt towards Taipei, then turn left anywhere...the next big road you get has loads of sneaker stores.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

26 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 18 Apr 2012, 15:09

I found one in Jung Hwa road right by the Xindian district office MRT. If you walk down Jung Hwa road , it is on your right, it sells badminton shoes and sports equipment, uniforms etc..looked like they have bigger sizes. Can't remember the name but the sign is green and blue and it's one of the first stores on your right.
Battery9

26 Recognized(s)

Postby mikshoton » 23 May 2012, 16:10

Muji sells big people socks (my cousin is a size 12)!
mikshoton
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 23 May 2012, 21:35

Ya the sock stuff comes around and around,
White sports stuff at COSTCO
black stuff, knee high, any sock store but buy them out because they wont have them next time,
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Craig0928 » 28 May 2012, 17:52

By the way (1), socks that fit us 'foreigners' sometimes state size '26-28' on the back of the packet (makes life much easier).... This is for shoe size 28 (china) or 11 (AU AND UK) ...

BY THE WAY (2) 'Travel Fox' is a good Italian shoe company, launched in Italy in the mid-1980s, and came to Taiwan in 1988... It seems that Taiwan was making more and more shoes for them, and now the local TW subsidiary has a LOT of say about new styles and export markets...

Anyway, they make great shoes and to Western foot shape and sizes....

You can find one of their outlet shops (factory surplus) in the Carrafour Mall, near ZhiShan MRT. There are often real bargains.

Despite their Italian origins, Travel Fox have always done well in Portugal, so you're sure to find their shoes in your shape and size (as some of those Portugal guys are really tall). They are also exported to some stores in North America, esp Canada.

Yes, they are a combination of Nike, Adidas and Diadora - but I think their quality is much better!

I can't RE-SIZE below picture, so to see all of it, RIGHT-CLICK save to your computer...

Good luck!
Craig0928
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?