Galoshes

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Galoshes

Postby Incubus » 16 Apr 2012, 14:08

My shoes, socks and feet are all wet from walking in that downpour at noon. Anybody know where I can find some galoshes in Taipei? It'd be great if I could just slip them over my shoes before I go out on a day like today.

Alternatively, can anybody recommend some reliable waterproof shoes, ones that I can wear to the office and won't make me look like I'm going hiking?
Incubus
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Re: Galoshes

Postby Belgian Pie » 16 Apr 2012, 15:41

I you want to be fashionable, do as many do and wear rubber boots, especially when taking the MRT ... (horse) riding boots, farmer's boots, construction worker's boots ... all is 'in' at the moment. Just pack your normal office shoes in your bag.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
83 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 16 Apr 2012, 16:49

In most traditional neighborhoods you'll pass by stores that have raincoats, flip flops, galoshes, umbrellas and maybe helmets etc. displayed in the doorway, often with signs saying 雨衣 (rainwear). Any such store and many mom and pop sundry goods stores will have galoshes. Just ask a neighbor to point you in the right direction. If you more clearly specify your location, someone may be able to point you to a particular address.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Apr 2012, 17:31

Incubus wrote:My shoes, socks and feet are all wet from walking in that downpour at noon. Anybody know where I can find some galoshes in Taipei? It'd be great if I could just slip them over my shoes before I go out on a day like today.

Alternatively, can anybody recommend some reliable waterproof shoes, ones that I can wear to the office and won't make me look like I'm going hiking?

At the Japanese stores, they sell plastic covers -both for men and women's shoes- that are zipped over, sort of light plastic booties, to protect you from the rain. They are not very tall, but you can walk easily and they are not slippery nor look dumb.

The reliable waterproof shoes I wear are loafer style. I purposely stepped on a puddle at noon and my socks are dry as they can be, no problem. I have black and brown, and they go well with pantsuits, as they look like elegant loafers, not casual. Bought them at Rockport, close to Breeze Center. Timberland has even better ones. I recently bought their waterproof boots, and they are OK to wear under pants, look good. Please do consider that they are more pricey than in the West, unfortunately.

This: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-editoria ... roof-black
Mine look sort like this but women's waterproof: http://www.rockport.com/mens-loafers/wa ... atnew=null

You will see many of the locals wearing plastic boots, that is also an extreme alternative. Even I have thos ein case of typhoon. The black riding boots made of latex seem to be the rage right now.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 17 Apr 2012, 12:16

Thanks for your replies guys and gal.

BP,
At my age, I have to be careful. If I tried too hard to be fashionable, I'd just end up looking silly in those trendy boots. "Look mom, a farmer taking the MRT!"

DB,
I know exactly the kind of store you're talking about. Unfortunately, all of such stores have been replaced by convenience stores in the neighborhood I live in (Taipei city center).

Icon,
There're a couple of those Japanese stores near where I live. I'll check them out. The Rockport looks nice, though it's been ages since I wore laced shoes. Timberland may be too rugged-looking for the office.
Incubus

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Apr 2012, 13:56

Mine are not laced, the other link is for the slip on. Mine are rounded and have heels, though. :D

Laced are not totally waterproof, me thinks that the water will slip through the holes. The Timberland boots do not look out of place under casual wear, like chinos or other loose pants, which you can wear at the office if the office is not too strict. If you are suits only, then the Rockport loafer styles are your thing.

There is also a waterproof spray I have used which I also bought at that same store. I bought it to protect normal leather shoes from the occassional drizzle. It works OK.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?