Power tools, circular saw or miter saw

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Power tools, circular saw or miter saw

Postby tcarnagan » 19 Apr 2012, 22:21

Mods: I searched as much as I could for this with no avail, seems like a spaghetti bowl in the thread search.

Looking for a second hand circular saw or miter saw, if any you Forumosans out there have it I am interested. In addition if anyone knows of a good place to buy a new one I would be interested. They have them at B&Q (iMart or whatever now) but not looking to spend 5k on one. Been looking on bid.Yahoo and can find a decent one for about 2k, but am more of a look at it before I buy type of person and will resort later to the Yahoo avenue.

Thanks for any help!
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
Forumosan avatar
tcarnagan
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Re: Power tools, circular saw or miter saw

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 19 Apr 2012, 23:15

Taiyuan Rd., north of Taipei Main, or Huanhe South Rd. to the west by the river.

Lots of tool shops there--definitely better quality:price than B&Q. I think there are used tool dealers on Huanhe, too. A used chop saw should be about 2k I think. :bow:
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 20 Apr 2012, 19:33

Just don't skimp on something like this... these circular saws are easily one of the more dangerous tools and being cheap could be worse than a tool that doesn't perform...
Taiwan Luthiers
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

1 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 20 Apr 2012, 20:25

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:Just don't skimp on something like this... these circular saws are easily one of the more dangerous tools and being cheap could be worse than a tool that doesn't perform...

... says the guy who was planning to construct his own Flintstones-style wooden bandsaw. :raspberry:
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 11 May 2012, 15:28

tcarnagan wrote:
Looking for a second hand circular saw or miter saw, if any you Forumosans out there have it I am interested. In addition if anyone knows of a good place to buy a new one I would be interested.

For used, Taipei city, go to Kang Ding Road, at the corner Gui Lin Road in Wan Hua, not far from Long Shan temple and the Wan Hua YMCA.

For new tools, any of the pro supply shops you find anywhere. Including the aforementioned shops on Tai Yuan Road and Huan He in Taipei city. As pro supply shops they have catalogs and will order from the Taiwan agent/distributor for you. That's what I did for my router and circular saw. I looked up the models I wanted on the Makita Maktek website, wrote down the model numbers, went to get some prices, haggled a bit, and then ordered. Buy shopping around a bit, I saved a couple hundred NT. Picked them up a few days later.

I bought a Maktek saw. Maktek is the budget line for Makita. the baseplate for my circular was cheap stamped steel, and not as easy to true as a higher end pro Makita, but it came with the exact same high end carbide blade. The great blade made it worth it. I also got a Maktek trim router. Good price for a light duty router.
neesh
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

8 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Where Can I Find...?