Introduction to finance classes

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Introduction to finance classes

Postby appa » 07 May 2012, 18:52

Hi everyone,

I'm a graduate English Secondary Education major from New Jersey, and I've recently moved back to Taiwan because my father wishes for me to learn the family trade. However, due to my lack of experience with business management and my lack of understanding when it comes to finance, basics in investing, and money management, I realized I need to take some basic courses. I have searched google with the term "studying finance in Taiwan" but all my hits were for undergrads who wish to study abroad in Taiwan.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is there a non-degree "bu-xi-ben" type of thing for individuals who wish to study finance and money management? Or does anyone who is studying abroad now know if one can sign up to take undergraduate business courses without actually having to apply to the university?

I currently live in Hsinchu but I commute to Taipei everyday and sometimes to Taichung for work reasons.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Forumosan avatar
appa
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Introduction to finance classes

Postby dasmania » 16 May 2012, 23:12

Hey, I majored in accounting and finance in school/post grad, if you're looking for business applicable skills and not a degree per se, then I would recommend you look at Intro Accounting courses and maybe Operations Management (if its a bigger business). Finance is usually geared towards people who want to analyze businesses (like wall street workers, etc). To that end, I'm sure the uni's over there would let you sign up for one or two courses at a time, OR since you don't really need a degree, try those online universities like University of Phoenix or whatever. Sign up for 1 or 2 courses a semester as a non degree student, get your textbooks shipped in and do that. You'd learn the basics of business handling in no time. That and hands on experience is always better than the theory! Good luck!
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?