RIT Dye oe Indigo Dye or Tie Dye Shop

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

RIT Dye oe Indigo Dye or Tie Dye Shop

Postby michaelcrace » 25 May 2012, 11:07

Anyone know were I can get dye to show my kids how to do tie dye in their school. Maybe some type of indigo dye like they use at these dye shops sattered around Taiwan wold be good.

Thanks
michaelcrace
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: RIT Dye oe Indigo Dye or Tie Dye Shop

Postby Dragonbones » 25 May 2012, 11:33

Tailung Hands in Breeze used to have some (tiny, overpriced bottles), 5 years ago.
Chemical shops on Tianshui Rd. should have some. You have to specify the fabric, and understand Chinese.

Ordering from DharmaTrading in the US is better if you want English info. Try these:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3 ... =dyes.html and be sure to get the soda ash fixative too.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 25 May 2012, 12:28

Dragonbones wrote:Tailung Hands in Breeze used to have some (tiny, overpriced bottles), 5 years ago.
Chemical shops on Tianshui Rd. should have some. You have to specify the fabric, and understand Chinese.

Ordering from DharmaTrading in the US is better if you want English info. Try these:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3 ... =dyes.html and be sure to get the soda ash fixative too.

Chemical shops only sells industrial dyes, they have procion H, direct dyes (basically RIT dyes), Alkaline dyes, alcohol dyes (good for finishing), and acid/food dyes. All of those dyes require heat for it to set. They do NOT sell procion MX type dyes which is the best for tie dye because they do not require heat and are permanent. The only way I know of is getting it from Dharma Tradings.

If you use a rice cooker you can buy the Procion H dyes from the chemical store and steam set them... use it as you would Procion MX but heat set it. Do not follow the instruction on the bottle (which basically tells you to use a dye fixative to "fix" the dyes, it is not as permanent as allowing it to react with the cloth fiber). They also sell dispersion dye which is used for polyesters.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
102 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 25 May 2012, 13:09

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:Chemical shops...do NOT sell procion MX type dyes which is the best for tie dye because they do not require heat and are permanent. The only way I know of is getting it from Dharma Tradings.

Yup, I agree with TL here. I like (and linked to) the ProcionMX type for tie dye. I've had very good results with those, and have never had trouble with ordering from Dharma Trading.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?