Recycling clothes in Taiwan

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Postby Realgroovychick » 28 May 2012, 20:00

I have some clothes that I want to get rid of.

Some of the clothes are in okay condition and I would like to donate them to charity. But some of them just need to be thrown away or just used as rags. Can I just put the clothes in the trash? Whenever I put my rubbish on the rubbish truck, they check my rubbish and I sense that they might not allow me to put clothing in there. Where can I donate clothes to charity?

Back at home we have clothing bins where you can dump clothes - not sure what to do here!

Can anyone help me?
Realgroovychick
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Recycling clothes in Taiwan

Postby Mucha Man » 28 May 2012, 22:48

Rags are recycled so just pack them in a bag and give them to the recycling truck. Most neighborhoods have a used clothes bin where you can drop off clothes you don't want for the needy. Where are you located?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

744 Recognized(s)

Postby Realgroovychick » 29 May 2012, 00:39

Thanks for your reply. I live near Taipei 101 and work near MRT Liuzhangli. I have never noticed any clothing bins. Could you describe them?
Thanks again
Realgroovychick

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 29 May 2012, 00:49

Realgroovychick wrote:Thanks for your reply. I live near Taipei 101 and work near MRT Liuzhangli. I have never noticed any clothing bins. Could you describe them?
Thanks again

They look like an oversized blue (I think) mailbox, usually about 2m high. Clothes go in the top shute which pulls out like a mailbox.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

744 Recognized(s)

Postby madracer » 27 Jul 2012, 14:57

Anyone know how to locate these blue bins?
I have quite a bit of old clothes that I need to get rid off, but walked around my neighbourhood (Songshan District) but could not locate the blue bin :ponder:

Even an address of a charity that will accept the old clothes will suffice, dont mind carting the stuff over to wherever.

TIA
madracer
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Incubus » 27 Jul 2012, 15:04

Blue? :ponder: The ones in my neighborhood (Taipei city) are green. They're usually located on a street corner in the small lanes.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 28 Jul 2012, 00:48

You might have to ask a local that you know. I have seen two since I moved here 2.5 years ago. One was 30 meters from my house (2nd place) and one is actually in the basement of my new apt building. I'm sure that I have been past dozens but they don't really stick out. I think the ones that I've seen were beige and about the size of a vending machine.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

117 Recommends(s)
122 Recognized(s)

Postby dizzyhytes » 24 Aug 2012, 22:47

There is one of these second hand clothes collection boxes next to Shi-Da University sports field, off Heping East Road. The box is located on Roosevelt Road Sec 2 Lane 81 but it is a one-way street, and the entrance to Lane 81 is actually on Heping East Road, not Roosevelt Road, between a National Health medical clinic and the Shi-Da Sports field. It is less than 25 meters down Lane 81, you should see it on the left side of the lane.

I am also looking to get rid of some clothes, but they are quite nice and was looking for a second hand store, or a Salvation Army-type of shop. I am trying to donate the stuff, it's too nice to dump in a clothing bin or throw away.

Please let me know if there is any such store.
dizzyhytes
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?