Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Ax/Knife Sharpener

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Ax/Knife Sharpener

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 06 Jun 2012, 14:25

Does anyone know a shop that sharpens axes, knives or garden tools? I need a grinder or something for these blades.

(No I'm not going to chop up my landlord.)
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Re: Ax/Knife Sharpener

Postby Enigma » 12 Jun 2012, 13:36

If I were doing it, I would go to any hardware store and just buy a cheap grinder. They may also have a honing stone. I'd get that too. If they dont have the honing stone, you can find them in most night markets. Look for the knife vendor and you'll find several grades of honing stones. Grinder, probably about 1,000. Stone, 200.
Hell of alot cheaper than carting all your gradening crap down to some bloke that will probably lose it anyway.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 12 Jun 2012, 15:44

Bubba 2 Guns wrote:Does anyone know a shop that sharpens axes, knives or garden tools? I need a grinder or something for these blades.

Where do you live? Old time knife makers, and guys who do sharpening work can be found all over Taiwan. There is a guy who makes knives and other types of blade tools not far from where I live in Sanchong, New Taipei City. These places will not be found in trendier areas, or new housing developments. You generally find them in older communities, and often near old established market areas. And it'll be easier to find these guys in areas where people still do farming. New Taipei City and in rural towns.

Kind of like looking for the guys who do scissors sharpening. They are here, but you have to keep your eyes open.
neesh
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

12 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 12 Jun 2012, 16:13

neesh wrote:
Bubba 2 Guns wrote:Does anyone know a shop that sharpens axes, knives or garden tools? I need a grinder or something for these blades.

Where do you live?
Old time knife makers, and guys who do sharpening work can be found all over Taiwan. There is an old guy who makes knives and other types of blade garden tools not far from where I live in Sanchong, New Taipei City. These places will not be found in trendier areas, or new housing developments. Best bet would be to ask your neighbors or local wet market butchers is they know of a local knife maker. You generally find them in older communities, and often near old established market areas. And it'll be easier to find these guys in areas where people still do farming. Places like Sanchong in New Taipei city, and other rural towns. Unfortunately, as these old guys retire, (the guys I've seen are well into their upper 50s and 60s), local handmade knives and farming implements will disappear from the Taipei area, along with the sharpening services. Xi Men Ding had a knife shop, but I don't remember the location.

If it's just knives, you could always go to your neighborhood wet market and ask your butcher to sharpen your knives. All the butchers and fish mongers in wet markets sharpen their own knives. I see it all the time. Best time to go would be a weekday morning or afternoon. Weekend mornings are busy times for them, so forget weekend mornings. Maybe a Saturday afternoon.

In some of the hardware stores, you can find a very wide selection of sharpening stones. From coarse stones for doing a rough edge on garden tools, to imported Japanese wetstones suitable for sharpening fine wood carving tools -with prices to match. Taiwanese knife shops also stock those stones.
neesh

12 Recognized(s)

Postby neesh » 17 Jun 2012, 17:06

The June 16, weekend supplement of the Liberty Times has a feature on knives and knife makers.

http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/Service/weekly.htm
You can get hard copy at most libraries.

There are addresses for several knife makers. And yes, in one pic you can see garden tools!
neesh

12 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?