WCIF English-Language Interest Decks

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

WCIF English-Language Interest Decks

Postby ehophi » 21 Jun 2012, 00:39

I brought a Quiddler deck from the U.S., and I fear that I'm the sole owner of a deck in this country. I use the cards to play lots of different spelling and word challenge games.

However, my deck is aging, and I'd like to know whether there are places where word cards and things of that sort are around.

I tried to introduce my students to Scategories, too, but I feel that it would be better if I had the real game instead of the impromptu version with scratch paper and a whiteboard.

Where are the English-language specialty toy stores in Taipei?

I'm near Liuzhangli.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
44 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Re: WCIF English-Language Interest Decks

Postby ironlady » 21 Jun 2012, 05:22

I actually manufacture language teaching card games...if you can describe what you want (not copyrighted, of course) I can probably provide it. We will be launching formally in August, selling primarily to American public schools and universities teaching foreign languages, but I'd also like to develop more ESL/EFL content.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 23 Jun 2012, 03:04

ironlady wrote:I actually manufacture language teaching card games...if you can describe what you want (not copyrighted, of course) I can probably provide it. We will be launching formally in August, selling primarily to American public schools and universities teaching foreign languages, but I'd also like to develop more ESL/EFL content.

What do you know about Quiddler? Any ideas on how to improve on it?
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi

ORIGINAL POSTER
44 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 23 Jun 2012, 06:11

I'm not familiar with the basic mechanism. Is it patented? Copyright wouldn't be as much of an issue because you'd be using your own data sets, but the mechanism of the game could possibly be patented.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 27 Jun 2012, 03:58

ironlady wrote:I'm not familiar with the basic mechanism. Is it patented? Copyright wouldn't be as much of an issue because you'd be using your own data sets, but the mechanism of the game could possibly be patented.

Basic mechanism: http://www.setgame.com/quiddler/rules.htm

The basic game is alright. The cards, themselves, are pretty dynamic, so I can make up all sorts of games. I've made up a version that involves card-elimination and plays more like Uno. I've made up a version that gets students to make comparative spelling moves. The list goes on. The cards, themselves, are the main thing.
ehophi

ORIGINAL POSTER
44 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 27 Jun 2012, 12:39

Well, basically, if you know what you want, we can produce it in most cases.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Where Can I Find...?