Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Light Brown Sugar

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Light Brown Sugar

Postby Quarters » 13 Jul 2012, 13:16

Looking for light brown sugar. Preferably C&H. I found dark C&H but I need light and prefer not to substitute. Taiwanese brown sugar is too dark or too coarse.
Forumosan avatar
Quarters
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recognized(s)

Re: Light Brown Sugar

Postby tcarnagan » 13 Jul 2012, 13:52

Was at 'a.Mart' (formerly it was called 'Geant') last night shopping and the guy in front of me was buying 'light brown sugar' in bulk. I remember because I helped him unload it from his cart to the cashier. So give 'a.mart' a try, the one I shop at is in Banqiao.
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
Forumosan avatar
tcarnagan
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 13 Jul 2012, 14:24

Quarters wrote:Looking for light brown sugar. Preferably C&H. I found dark C&H but I need light and prefer not to substitute. Taiwanese brown sugar is too dark or too coarse.

Organic stores, Santa Cruz I think carries from Dominican Republic, very tasty.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

634 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 13 Jul 2012, 15:36

I do realize the OP prefers not to substitue, but for the benefit of others also looking for this, in case you can't find light brown sugar, note that all brown sugar is just white sugar plus molasses, so if you want a lighter flavor you can use part dark (e.g. C&H, or local stuff if you don't mind the texture), and part superfine white granulated.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Quarters » 13 Jul 2012, 21:39

There are also easy recipes you can find to make it yourself. Just add molasses to super fine white sugar and use a food processor to mix and grind it up. Just takes time and the molasses can get pricey.
Forumosan avatar
Quarters

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Jul 2012, 12:50

Well, the one I get from the organic supermarket is the one we make traditionally back in the ol country directly from the sugar cane, then into what is basically a "block" of untreated sugar. here they grind it before they sell it in bags, but back there they sell the blocks as sort of brown sugar, for drinks and cooking and such. White sugar tastes differently to me.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

634 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?