Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Postby Dragonbones » 21 May 2007, 00:05

CanadianBryson wrote:Anyone know the general price for a guy's haircut here?

A lot of the mom and pop dives charge around NT$300 for a guy's cut, or 350 with a wash.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby CanadianBryson » 21 May 2007, 03:39

What about Dianne and Eddie? Are they reasonable for men's cuts? I don't trust the little barber shops with my hair and since my Chinese is limited to numbers and foods from Chinese Breatfast restaurants, I don't think I'll get a good cut walking in and asking for Leo Mee Djung...

;-)
"Nothing Worth Having Comes Without Some Kind of Fight. You've Got To Kick at the Darkness Till it Bleeds Daylight." - Bruce Cockburn

"A Man Is a Success if He Gets Up In The Morning and Goes to Bed at Night, and In Between Does What He Wants to Do." - Bob Dylan

"Goonie-goo-hoo" - Eddie Murphy
Forumosan avatar
CanadianBryson
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby sulavaca » 21 May 2007, 08:48

http://readyeddiego.com/price_list.htm

That is the price list link for Eddie's site and you can see there that a haircut is charged at 700nt, not including the shampoo. I know some will pay less for a haircut, but it depends what level of cut you are expecting. I can compare Eddie's with the best in Taipei and he is only a fraction of the price. I used to pay 1,200nt for a simple cut before finding Eddie, but Eddie is much better than my last snipper.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Her Husband » 22 May 2007, 10:17

Diane charges NT$700 for a haircut without a shampoo. She has magazines here, both hair magazines and fashion magazines to look through for reference, but if you have a specific cut in mind, you can of course bring a picture yourself as well.

Give her a call at 2778 4733 if you have any specific questions. She speaks good English.
Diane at Fine Hair Salon is one of Taipeis best hair dressers. She's been in the business for about 20 years, including 5 years in Sweden, so she knows Western hair styles very well. She's great with colors. She's also worked in Hong Kong, and a little bit in the US where we lived for a year or so. She speaks good English and Swedish, and of course Taiwanese and Chinese. Here's a thread where you can see what some Forumosans think about her. And here's another.

Here's a Swedish blog, a a photoblog, and an English blog about biking in Taiwan.
Her Husband
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Her Husband » 21 Jun 2007, 11:53

Just to let the people on this forum that rely on Diane's services that we will be going back to Sweden for two weeks beginning July 9. Diane will be back in business again on July 25.
Diane at Fine Hair Salon is one of Taipeis best hair dressers. She's been in the business for about 20 years, including 5 years in Sweden, so she knows Western hair styles very well. She's great with colors. She's also worked in Hong Kong, and a little bit in the US where we lived for a year or so. She speaks good English and Swedish, and of course Taiwanese and Chinese. Here's a thread where you can see what some Forumosans think about her. And here's another.

Here's a Swedish blog, a a photoblog, and an English blog about biking in Taiwan.
Her Husband

1 Recommends(s)

Postby CanadianBryson » 29 Jul 2007, 20:27

Just for anyone wondering about Diane's work (especially guys)... I went to her today and got my first haircut here in Taiwan, after letting my hair grow for over nine months, and she did a great job. Unlike a lot of hairdressers I have been to in the past, she actually listens to you and does what you want and not just what the current style is.

She got it perfect, and even doesn't take offense when you ask her to take a little more off, or change something a little. So guys, if you are scared of ending up with one of those wonderful haircuts you see on the MRT every day, there is actually somewhere to go and you won't end up looking like you belong on V Channel.
"Nothing Worth Having Comes Without Some Kind of Fight. You've Got To Kick at the Darkness Till it Bleeds Daylight." - Bruce Cockburn

"A Man Is a Success if He Gets Up In The Morning and Goes to Bed at Night, and In Between Does What He Wants to Do." - Bob Dylan

"Goonie-goo-hoo" - Eddie Murphy
Forumosan avatar
CanadianBryson

Recommend a hairstylist for an English speaker?

Postby OriginEarth » 13 Dec 2007, 13:04

Hey, anyone know a good hairstylist in Taipei City? preferably can speak English?
OriginEarth
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Rascal » 13 Dec 2007, 13:28

Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Re: Recommend a hairstylist for an English speaker?

Postby Her Husband » 14 Dec 2007, 10:49

OriginEarth wrote:Hey, anyone know a good hairstylist in Taipei City? preferably can speak English?

Look two posts above yours, and you'll find one, with links to a couple of references on this forum.

But anyway, here goes:

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She's conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There's a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da'an Rd. Turn left on Da'an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da'an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you'll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your left hand side just after the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da'an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She's open till 9 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

Her Husband

1 Recommends(s)

English speaking hairdresser, salon or barber

Postby spiritguide » 23 Jan 2008, 11:54

I just tried Diane and she was awesome. I am more than satisfied with her work. I've had several bad Pat-Benatar hair cuts since I've been here. Diane is the best. She listens, gives suggestions if you want, and is very experienced. No more of the unhealthy, punk rock haircuts for me (thank god). Her English is great, she's a pro. Expect to pay around a grand for a haircut boys. But, if you like the 80's hair thing, by all means...do the cheap thing. Hint: Ask her what she thinks and she'll design something that fits your face and makes you look better. :notworthy:
spiritguide

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?