a western oven

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Postby saintone1 » 18 Sep 2006, 11:45

The best purchase I made recently was a Panasonic combo microwave oven (About NT$14k).

It will allow you to do pretty much anything, depending on size of course, with great control of heat etc...
plus, you can plug into a normal power outlet.

p.s. My bread has never tasted so good!!!
saintone1
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby totallytika » 18 Sep 2006, 12:57

It took me over two years to find a western style full sized 4 burner stove/oven. I finally was able to buy one from a departing Forumosan last Fall. I did find one company who sells them by searching out Indesit on the internet. They have a Taipei branch and will sell them but the price range is NT40,000 - NT50,000.

If you do find one, keep in mind that it is extremely hard to find servicing for these things. Most repair folk, have no idea where to even start with this type of appliance! My suggestion would be to buy from the dealer, making sure that they do have qualified service people. The one out of Taipei did, but I just couldn't justify the cost.

Indesit, BTW, is an European make and very good quality.

I doubt that I still have the information on this company but will look.
Forumosan avatar
totallytika
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby igorveni » 18 Sep 2006, 23:52

sleepingtiger wrote:I know everyone uses electric ovens, but I don't want an electric oven. I would like to purchase a western style gas oven..... Sogo and B&Q are outragously expensive. Any other ideas????

For what you want, you won't find any cheaper. If you stick to this kind of oven and nothing else, you gotta pay....
This ain't Europe or the states, people don't use these kind of stoves here.
igorveni
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Ma Ke » 19 Sep 2006, 01:56

IGORVENI,
You mean to say we're not in Kansas anymore, and grandmas not cooking blueberry muffins and chocolate chip cookies? After 15 years of this predisposition, I feel so stupid. Only on www.forumosa.com could I feel so enlightened!
What you mean to say is, because they don't bake cookies, there are no deals on conventional ovens in the whole of Taiwan?
God, I wish I was as smart as you!
You are fucking funny man.
Peace, Mark
Ma Ke
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby 500CBFan » 19 Sep 2006, 08:16

I've seen small shops that do kitchen remodeling. Maybe the price is just as high there, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask.
Forumosan avatar
500CBFan
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby sandman » 19 Sep 2006, 13:05

What you mean to say is, because they don't bake cookies, there are no deals on conventional ovens in the whole of Taiwan?
God, I wish I was as smart as you!
You are fucking funny man.
Peace, Mark

What he means and what he said is that such cookers are not in high demand here, so they're not quite so easy to source and also quite expensive.
However, NT$20,000-NT$50,000 is not really expensive for the brands available -- they cost just as much in the UK, for example.
NT$50000 is just 800 pounds. My sister spent over 6000 pounds on her last cooker.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Doctor Evil » 19 Sep 2006, 14:16

You can find US model systems in some of the shops up on C-h-u-n-g Shan N. Rd Sec 6.......in Tianmu. They usually cost about $30,000NT. The same models can be bought in Guam, USA or Bali, Indonesia for less than $400US.
"Hatred as an element of the struggle; a relentless hatred of the enemy, impelling us over and beyond the natural limitations that man is heir to and transforming him into an effective, violent, selective and cold killing machine. Our soldiers must be thus; a people without hatred cannot vanquish a brutal enemy. We must carry the war into every corner the enemy happens to carry it: to his home, to his centers of entertainment; a total war. It is necessary to prevent him from having a moment of peace, a quiet moment outside his barracks or even inside; we must attack him wherever he may be; make him feel like a cornered beast wherever he may move. Then his moral fiber shall begin to decline. He will even become more beastly, but we shall notice how the signs of decadence begin to appear." - Che Guevara, Message to the Tricontinental
Forumosan avatar
Doctor Evil
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Hobart » 19 Sep 2006, 21:54

The amount of people that purchase these type of ovens is small so the guys that import them feel obligated to overcharge you because they can. They wouldn't even import the things if they only made a measly profit. One tip is to try kitchen stores, the ones that sell kitchen cabinets, the ones with domestic cabinets would be cheaper. They sell wall ovens that are Taiwan made and look just like their foreign counterparts, probably because a lot of gas ovens are made in Taiwan and that is why there is an import tax(import tax not that high) to protect their domestic manufacturers. The thing is no one buys these so they are not really protecting any kind of market. Anyway. the shop I went to had wall ovens for only NT$20,000 but they were small. They looked nice, stainless steel, but the inside was small. Maybe the same size as my Japanese/Taiwanese style high-end counter top oven, which also NT$20,000.

There is also a Kenmore dealer on the corner of DeXing Rd and Zhongcheng Rd in Tianmu, on the NW corner. They were fairly reasonable.

Buying from departing expats might work, if I see any on the board at the American Club I will let you know.

By the way, if you do buy an oven, you can make money with it, selling bread and cookies and cakes to Taiwanese, ahahaha...they just love baked goods, but they only have a WOK at hom eand wouldn't know how to bake bread or cookies anyway. Just look at the lines at the bakeries and scratch your head and wonder why more people don't bake their own stuff at home? Anyway, that is just a joke, please don't sell bread on the streets and lose your shirt, because if you can't make rousung, yumi or hongdou minabao, you won't make any money, unless your last name is Wendel, just stick to teaching English.
"the so-called "one China" policy was a relic of a time that had long passed. Taiwan is no longer ruled by an autocratic dictator claiming to rule all of China. It is an independent nation which controls its own borders, dictates its own foreign policies, maintains its own armed forces, manages its own economy, and most importantly -- elects its own leaders," "It is, by all measures, a sovereign country -- and it should be treated as such," -From a Taipei Times article Quoting Republicans Steve Chabot and Dana Rohrabacher and Democrat Robert Andrews
Forumosan avatar
Hobart
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby Duke » 19 Sep 2006, 22:26

I bought one used from another foreigner for 5k. It's great in the winter, but I never use it in the summer - it's just too hot!
Duke
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 19 Sep 2006, 22:34

igorveni wrote:
sleepingtiger wrote:I know everyone uses electric ovens, but I don't want an electric oven. I would like to purchase a western style gas oven.

For what you want, you won't find any cheaper. If you stick to this kind of oven and nothing else, you gotta pay.
This ain't Europe or the states, people don't use these kind of stoves here.

Rich people do. I've been in more than a few Taiwanese homes in Tianmu that had them. Of course the only person I ever saw using them was the Filipina maid. We've got a gas oven with four burners on top, and like Duke, ours gets the most use in the winter. However V baked some fantastic cookies the other day, so even in the summer, it does get some use.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?