big printing

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

big printing

Postby Loretta » 03 Feb 2008, 23:26

I have a couple of jpg's that are approx 4500 pixels to a side, and I was wondering if I could get them made into posters.

I don't even know how big they would turn out, but they don't need to be photo quality. Where could I get something made that would be, say 60-80cm square?
Loretta
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Chih Yu » 04 Feb 2008, 00:56

well, maybe you can try 爵士沖印 which is on No. 358 Sec. 2, Bade Rd.,Taipei City

However, I have not done the big poster print there so I am not sure the quality of it.

Good Luck
Chih Yu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby housecat » 04 Feb 2008, 01:00

If you don't want quality, I'd say any photo shop could come up with that for you. There are professional shops who can deliver the quality. We used a couple in Taipei, but it's been too many years to remember them now. Well, hell, I guess this post isn't much help. Sorry. But it shouldn't be too hard to find something.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 04 Feb 2008, 01:17

I had a photo blown up to a small, 16" x 20" poster a couple of weeks ago at the neighbourhood photo shop. It turned out ok. If you want larger... I'm not sure. Let me know if you find someone that does a good job.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 04 Feb 2008, 13:39

I assume - without knowing a lot - that quality is mostly down to how many pixels per cm or inch or whatever you blow the image up to. Need to figure out what the acceptable minimum would be before it starts to look crappy. In this case, it's a map of Ankh Morpock, not a photo. And another of the discworld.

I was asked for 300dpi for some printing recently. If you could get away with half that (not sure if you can) then 150dpi for an image 4500 pixels across gives me 30 inches. Converting archaic to modern, that works out at about 75cm.

But do theses average print stores have printing machines that can do larger prints?
Loretta

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 04 Feb 2008, 13:47

Chih Yu wrote:well, maybe you can try 爵士沖印 which is on No. 358 Sec. 2, Bade Rd...

Don't go to Jazz (爵士). I've hear nothing but horror stories about that place from people who have been overcharged and given bad service.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby lupillus » 04 Feb 2008, 15:40

If you're not looking for superb quality, print it out, cut and paste, then get a photocopy shop to xerox it.

The pictures sound like they're detailed enough to be printed at that size, thought they probably still have to be converted to 300 dpi.

If you're not sure how to do it, you can send the pics to me and I'll convert them for you.

Never used these people before, but it looks like they operate solely online.
http://www.poster.net.tw/poster/index.html
I am soft scientist and you are hard scientist. In the middle is the angry thin man.
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 04 Feb 2008, 15:48

300dpi is fairly standard for printing. Certainly it will look fine to the naked eye. 150dpi is about as low as you could possibly go before it looks like total arse.

You should be aware that if you go down to 150, there are two things that can happen. Either it will look a bit blurry, or it will look a bit pixelated, depends on the process involved. I'd recommend the blurry approach. If you send it to lupillus, I'm sure she'll sort you would with the best possible image.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

90 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 04 Feb 2008, 22:02

lupillus wrote:If you're not looking for superb quality, print it out, cut and paste, then get a photocopy shop to xerox it.

The pictures sound like they're detailed enough to be printed at that size, thought they probably still have to be converted to 300 dpi.

Thanks, but I don't understand. :oops:

I'm talking about a jpg, presumably a scan, of a map, full colour. 4244 x 4344 pixels. That's what I have now.

At 300dpi it's 14 inches across. At 200dpi it's 21 inches. At 150dpi it's 28 inches.

Presumably I could ask them to test print a sample at each different resolution and then decide what I want after I've seen how it looks. That much doesn't sound difficult.

The question is, if I want something 28 of those inch things across, would they have a printer that could handle it? If they have a xerox machine that big then presumably - in this modern day and age - it can be connected to a computer and will just print my file in one piece without me having to cut and paste anything.

(What is a xerox machine anyway? Do you mean a photocopier?)

Hang on, prepare to have your screen stretched, here's the image:
Loretta

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby lupillus » 05 Feb 2008, 10:39

Ok, and what print size do you want the picture?

24 inches (around 60cm)?

28 inches (around 71cm)?

31.5 inches (around 80 cm)?

U want to post the other pic too?
If you don't need it today, I can probably remove the crease lines in the next couple of days and email you the files.
I am soft scientist and you are hard scientist. In the middle is the angry thin man.
lupillus

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Where Can I Find...?