WCIF good cigars, Cubans, and tobacco shops?

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

Tobaco Store w/pipe tobaco

Postby michaelcrace » 21 Mar 2011, 11:47

Any store selling pipe tobaco or cigars around town anymore? Good cigars used to be everywhere
michaelcrace
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

5 Recognized(s)

Re: Tobaco Store w/pipe tobaco

Postby tomthorne » 21 Mar 2011, 11:59

Jason's has a humidor; well, a big cupboard full of lovely cigars my wife won't let me smoke :cry:
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby super_lucky » 21 Mar 2011, 12:28

michaelcrace wrote:Any store selling pipe tobaco or cigars around town anymore? Good cigars used to be everywhere

Smoker's Inn, No. 28 , Lane 199, Sec. 4, Xinyi Road in Taipei, has by far the best selection of pipe tobacco, cigars, and accessories in the city. Also used to carry smokeless products, but now only carrying snus from Sweden. Ms. Ines is very nice, speaks good English, and will go out of her way to get what you want.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby BigNoodle » 21 Mar 2011, 12:49

there is a shop with pipes and pipe tobacco on the HuaYin Jie, near Taipei Main Station (華陰街). Don't know the exact adress, but when you come from the station, take ChengDe lu, turn left on the HuaYin Street, pass the construction site and the shop would be on the left side.
the owner is very nice, he just offered me some tobacco to try in a little bag before buying the whole pack.
Forumosan avatar
BigNoodle
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recognized(s)

Re: WCIF good cigars, Cubans, and tobacco shops?

Postby johnniewalker » 03 Dec 2011, 11:58

I've been looking for a reliable stogie shop for a while now. I'm excited to visit this Smokers Inn joint as well as this Casa Del Habanos. I hope they offer a wider range of smokes, meaning not just "Cubans"..

I went to a little crack in the wall place near Shilin yesterday and was very disappointed. Furthermore, after reading the posts from this forum and talking with the foreigners I run into, it seems there is overwhelming emphasis on Habanos and a almost frightening neglect of great Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Dominican cigars amongst others..

Of course, paramount to being a cigar aficionado is the understanding that to each his own, what matters most is the enjoyment of what your smoking. That is, not passing your personal preferences off as the standard in which you compare other smokers. So I'm glad to sit down and burn one with anyone, without judgement of their preference. (within reason, Swishers, Phillies, and other machine made, floor scrap garbage will illicit a little judgement)

That being said, I really hope Smokers Inn offers a selection of non-Cubans. I love my Dominicans, Hondurans and Central-American blends. They offer complexities not found in Cuban "thoroughbreds". Padron for example, offers some of the best Nicaraguan cigars I've ever tasted, the marriage of Cuban seed with Nicaraguan climate produce beautiful complexities I've yet to find elsewhere. Another example is CAO with its Brazilia cigar, with a Nicaraguan binder and filler but with a sensually dark and oily Brazilian wrapper. I've also had some very rich smokes with exotic Sumatran wrappers.. There are thousands of top quality variety smokes outside of Cuba that I've grown to love, and wish to continue smoking, if I can locate a retailer here in Taipei offering them..

Being American I haven't been afforded (legally) the opportunity to smoke many Cubans. I have quite enjoyed Cohibas, and have been told these are grown with plots containing the most nutrient rich soils in Cuba. As far as Romeo Y Julieta s I can tell you I prefer the Domincan grown heads-above the Cuban grown. This is the cigar most widely recognized as a "premium" smoke amongst novices and non-smokers, along with Cohiba, primarily because of their Cuban heritage, however in most cases, I'd bet most would be hard pressed to differentiate between Dominican grown Cuban seed family brands and their Cuban grown relatives.. (besides being cheaper! :cool: )

I miss my Dominicans, my Hondurans, and my hybrids. I've actually considered the idea of opening a cigar lounge, with a worldly selection of smokes, puros and hybrids, unique blends and gold standards, but I don't know about the demand here in Taipei. Are people content with poorly humidified Cuban "glory" sticks? I feel a city of Taipei's caliber could afford to have another nice, cultured gentleman's lounge. There seems to definitely be enough money floating around out there...

Is anyone aware of any smokers clubs? The idea of getting together with a couple like-minded and not-so-like-minded fellow smokers would be a great time.. talk world events, politics, Taiwan happenings, and CIGARS! If anyone knows of a cigar social club please let me know,

Cheers
johnniewalker
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)

Postby sandman » 03 Dec 2011, 18:13

Used to be a bunch of cigar places a few years back. It was typical Taiwanese, though -- a passing fad. You could stub your cancer stick out in a Portuguese egg tart. :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 04 Dec 2011, 10:10

Cigar Emporium on AnHe Rd across from Carnegies and the Far Eastern?
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby sergiumahine7 » 28 May 2012, 07:25

Back home a few clubs have 'cigar rooms' up the back. Usually dimly lit with plush carpet and huge comfy leather chairs, a small spirits bar and Jazz playing.
sergiumahine7
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby cigaronline » 12 Oct 2012, 08:31

Hi ~ here is a new website ( English - http://www.cigaronline.us) ( Chineses - http://www.cigaronline.tw ) Offers premium authentic Cuban cigars at reasonable prices.

Our warehouse is located in a free trade zone of Seychelles
which enables us to bring you cigars at cost effect prices.
We strive to provide a superior level of service and
enable your purchase experience to be hassle free.
:)

Please be sure you are 18 years or older to enter this site.
cigaronline

Postby ehophi » 25 Oct 2012, 13:59

At the weapons store just off of Tonghua Street, by the Linjiang Night Market, they sell pipes made to resemble the smoke pipes from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

49 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Where Can I Find...?