is it slander?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: is it slander?

Postby Teddoman » 18 Jun 2012, 07:51

divea wrote:Guys you watch a lot of T.V. Like a lot. This man here is flesh and blood, he is angry, humiliated and wants the other guy to be humiliated but that's not going to make him feel better.

I'm not trying to read into his state of mind. I'm just taking the thread at face value. The guy says he's trying to save his marriage, and he is thinking through calmly and rationally the steps to do so. No idea if it's the right move, but can't blame him for trying to save his marriage.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 03 Jan 2005, 00:31
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby Battery9 » 18 Jun 2012, 07:54

I'm sorry to say, but no, not all people cheat. Ok, so you get this guy out of the way, then what...keep her from ever seeing anyone ever again? Does she want to save the marriage or does she want to be with him?
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:19
Location: Xindian County
27 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby bigduke6 » 18 Jun 2012, 11:25

In my honest opinion, when you wife decides that another hotdog tastes better and is more filling, the marriage is over.

End of story.

You cannot save something which is already dead.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac

This post was recommended by Confuzius (18 Jun 2012, 12:18)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: 19 May 2011, 11:58
Location: Kaohsiung
72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby agent007 » 19 Jun 2012, 01:28

Was thinking of hiring PI but heard many stories of scams.Also very costly.My lawyer told me there have been cases where slander was established even when the truth was told.This is the law :A person who points out or disseminates a fact which will injure the reputation of another for purpose that it be communicated to the pubic commits the offense of slander and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than five hundred yuan.
A person who by circulating a writing or drawing commits an offense specified in the preceding paragraph shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than two years, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than one thousand yuan.
A person who can prove the truth of the defamatory fact shall not be punished for the offense of defamation unless the fact concerns private life and is of no public concern.
I don't understand the relevance about it being private life and public concern!
agent007
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 10
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 02:50



Re: is it slander?

Postby agent007 » 19 Jun 2012, 01:30

tango42 wrote:Can't you sue the guy in Taiwan? Happens all the time where one partner cheats, and then the person who the partner cheated with gets sued by the person that was cheated on.


Yes,I could file adultery charge against the man.
agent007
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 10
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 02:50



Re: is it slander?

Postby Teddoman » 19 Jun 2012, 01:57

agent007 wrote:Was thinking of hiring PI but heard many stories of scams.Also very costly.My lawyer told me there have been cases where slander was established even when the truth was told.This is the law :A person who points out or disseminates a fact which will injure the reputation of another for purpose that it be communicated to the pubic commits the offense of slander and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than five hundred yuan.
A person who by circulating a writing or drawing commits an offense specified in the preceding paragraph shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than two years, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than one thousand yuan.
A person who can prove the truth of the defamatory fact shall not be punished for the offense of defamation unless the fact concerns private life and is of no public concern.
I don't understand the relevance about it being private life and public concern!

Adultery is clearly private life and of no public concern. So even disseminating the fact of this affair to his friends and colleagues would, yes, be slander under this very strange law.

Have you confronted your wife about the affair? I would think you have to deal with your wife first, not the other guy. Even if the affair stops, you haven't confronted this very painful break between you, and the marriage cannot be saved without confronting that fact directly.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 03 Jan 2005, 00:31
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby zender » 19 Jun 2012, 07:46

Honey,

I know you've been cheating on me, and it breaks my heart.

But I understand that nobody is perfect, and I still love you.

I'm willing to forgive you because I want to save this marriage.

Do you want to save this marriage? :pray:
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: 26 May 2005, 19:10
Location: In front of my computer
85 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby Rotalsnart » 19 Jun 2012, 16:47

Teddoman wrote:Adultery is clearly private life and of no public concern.


From a legal perspective, in a country where adultery is a civil rather than criminal offense, adultery is private life, as you say. But in a country where adultery is still on the books as a criminal offense (as it is in Taiwan), then by its legal nature, adultery is categorically a matter of public concern.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: 26 Oct 2005, 23:06
93 Recommends(s)
68 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby Confuzius » 19 Jun 2012, 20:50

agent007 wrote:I don't understand the relevance about it being private life and public concern!


Maybe you should follow her...catch them doing the nasty, take photos and videos, then upload them to facebook and tag them.

Makes total sense according to this statement of yours.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: is it slander?

Postby Teddoman » 19 Jun 2012, 21:23

Rotalsnart wrote:
Teddoman wrote:Adultery is clearly private life and of no public concern.


From a legal perspective, in a country where adultery is a civil rather than criminal offense, adultery is private life, as you say. But in a country where adultery is still on the books as a criminal offense (as it is in Taiwan), then by its legal nature, adultery is categorically a matter of public concern.

Let's just say I wouldn't risk entangling myself with the various criminal or civil statutes on the basis of that possible defense without really knowing the law better.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 03 Jan 2005, 00:31
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous




Proceed to General Legal Matters



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 visitors

Always Be Closing. Don't Ever Forget, Great Home Ideas Just Keep Lurking. Mostly Nearby. Often, People Question Realtors' Sincerity. Take Umbrage. Violators Will ... -- PHIL DUNPHY, Modern Family