Help!! Neighbour wants to sue because my son is 'noisy'.

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Help!! Neighbour wants to sue because my son is 'noisy'.

Postby headhonchoII » 17 Feb 2012, 21:50

Not every apartment complex is like that, depends on the management committee and management company, it is also pretty common for police to be called in for domestic fights and such. The only real solution though is to live as far away as possible from your neighbors, not that that's very easy in Taiwan!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)

Re: Help!! Neighbour wants to sue because my son is 'noisy'.

Postby 914 » 17 Feb 2012, 21:52

Sounds scary, Omni. Where do you live??? As I was reading I had this image of these drunken taike zombies banging on the gate of your community wanting some flesh.

Some people are so selfish, they don't think that the actions of a few of them affect a whole lot more people, only that they lost face. How's this land ever going to progress when you can't even call the police to do their job.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 17 Feb 2012, 22:07

914 wrote:Sounds scary, Omni. Where do you live??? As I was reading I had this image of these drunken taike zombies banging on the gate of your community wanting some flesh.

We're in Linkou, unfortunately. No sane person should ever consider living here.

And your description is a pretty close match to how we felt as it was happening. We were well horrified, and had an awful feeling of being helpless to put a stop to it.

I am determined that wherever I move to must have security guards, which my old apartment complex had but my current small townhouse community doesn't. Having them to act as a buffer in such situations can really make an enormous difference.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

69 Recommends(s)
202 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 17 Feb 2012, 23:35

Omniloquacious wrote:I think it's highly likely that most of the residents of our community would have blamed me for the ruckus, saying I'm a trouble-maker and should never have called the police for something like that. And I think it's more likely than not that the community leader went round to visit the karaoke people to smooth things over, apologised to them for their party having been interrupted, and said something to the effect that the foreigner who did it doesn't understand the Taiwanese way of doing things.

Actually you did the right thing. And you should do it again and again thill these numbnuts get the idea that the law will come. Things are changing and its because people like you will try to take some action like calling the police. Imagine if it had been the building manager going to that house instead of the police, he might have copped a right beating.

You last sentence is wrong, I would keep on not understanging the "Taiwanese" way of doing things. Even most idiots nowadays realize there are security cameras everywhere. So yes they bluster and try to bully more often than not.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Belgian Pie » 18 Feb 2012, 01:27

In my early years in Taiwan I threw some eggs into a house across from us that were disturbing my night's rest 'playing' mahjong ... and a few of them eggs at a truck spreading the message of a politician wanting to be re-elected ... :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
83 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 18 Feb 2012, 02:21

Omniloquacious wrote:
I think it's highly likely that most of the residents of our community would have blamed me for the ruckus, saying I'm a trouble-maker and should never have called the police for something like that. And I think it's more likely than not that the community leader went round to visit the karaoke people to smooth things over, apologised to them for their party having been interrupted, and said something to the effect that the foreigner who did it doesn't understand the Taiwanese way of doing things.

I'd keep calling the police. At their drunken stage they'll threaten cops, more police will arrive and your problem will be solved permanently. Taiwan is a changing, people trying to be gangsta's can't get away with shit anymore and cops have a lot more balls then they use to. I doubt the people singing karoake are actually any "real" gangsters, since most gangsters would be blowing money in jo diens than singing K out in linkou ;)
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 18 Feb 2012, 02:36

I think all that orange Linkou mud is seeping into their brains. Why not start an equally nutso counter fight? You could start bashing on their door and saying you can smell shit coming out of their apartment. 3am would be the best time to start banging. You should ask them why they are keeping a small menagerie of animals in their flat and that the shit-retch is palpable. Fight madness with madness. :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

102 Recommends(s)
345 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 18 Feb 2012, 12:39

Hey Omni, didn't we tell you not to live in Linkou? :wink: Now that Sanchong is kind of improving I think it might officially be the shittiest place in all of northern Taiwan.

And you are right about making sure to get a place with a management co., it makes a world of difference.
llary

29 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 21 Feb 2012, 08:14

That sounds horrible. Those type of people are almost impossible to deal with and have no rationale whatsoever. BUT, a few years ago, a friend of mine, who is Taiwanese, had a similar problem in their community. In the middle of the night, he went by their house and sprinkled some ghost money at their door. Did the trick, freaked those bad asses to the bone, no problems at all since then.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 21 Feb 2012, 22:57

Excellent application of The Taiwanese Way there. Fight stupidity with stupidity. Of the right sort, obviously.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

876 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to General Legal Matters