Foreign ownership of Taiwan radio stations--is it legal?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Foreign ownership of Taiwan radio stations--is it legal?

Postby Zla'od » 09 Aug 2011, 13:23

Can foreigners own Taiwan radio stations? If the media law has changed over time, please explain...
"In the Legislative Yuan, Chu has the option of attending meetings as the KMT chair or the mayor of New Taipei City. When asked if it would be awkward to be in that position, Chu used a baseball reference and said that today he may be the pitcher and tomorrow he may be the catcher." http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati ... ent-of.htm
Zla'od
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
82 Recognized(s)

Re: Foreign ownership of Taiwan radio stations--is it legal?

Postby Belgian Pie » 09 Aug 2011, 14:05

No idea, but if it's allowed, the hardest will be getting a frequency assigned ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 14 Nov 2011, 07:00

Well, someone should consider that! We really need that. Taiwan has a very interesting history in the Ex-Pat radio department. ICRT was really Great years ago. It was a real community, almost like Forumosa. It had a membership and a new letter and it really was devoted to making the foreigner feel at home. It was practically foreigned owned. They even had a almost "No Chinese" Policy.
Then after the big earth quake, having proved how much of a public service it could be, it self destructed.

Then there was some foreigner guy who started a pretty good radio station. He advertised that he was going to go on the air in the near future and even published his "assigned" frequencies". He set up the radio station via the internet as a sort of a trial run. He even got legitimate organizations to sponsor him. He got all of the studio equipment on credit. Then one day he got arrested and it all disappeared. The guy turned out to be an alleged pathological liar. Too bad, he had a Taiwanese wife and kids.

Why not go... AM. There are more than a few hundred radio stations that just have a call in Karaoke format. Perhaps we could buy time, or buy the bloody station while keeping the legal staff in place. We do need a station.
There have been internet attempts.. But they did not fly too well. To me, a local radio station is something that I can access in my car. Gives me the news I can use and a real "live" voice that assures me every thing is OK.
(I'm from the old days of radio, like Orson Wells's war of the world who believe that a reporter should hold that mike until the end) With affordable 3 G here in Taiwan, that might be an option. You could start a radio station and advertise the best 3g networks to use while listening in your car.

Good luck finding the rules. Good luck in founding a stations.. Please share your ideas anyway. What kind of radio service did you want to form....
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 15 Nov 2011, 20:54

Before you discuss the subject of "Foreign ownership of Taiwan radio stations" you might want to inquire about the issue of "Taiwanese ownership of Taiwan radio stations."

Over the years I have met many local Taiwanese activists, most of whom are/were pushing for Taiwan's participation in the international community as a full-fledged entity . . . . . such as being accepted as a "sovereign state," etc. They wanted to run a licensed local radio station. Typically, they always complained about the discrimination they received during the decades of KMT rule. Most of them were forced to operate illegally . . . . . . to go "underground" so to speak. As such, they were frequently subject to harassment from the Police and Ministry of the Interior, etc., and often had their broadcasting equipment seized.

When Chen Shui-bian ascended to the Presidency in 2000, they assumed that this situation would change. They were anxious to get their licenses, and be assigned a radio frequency.

However, during the eight years of Chen's Presidential term, this situation did not change one iota.

It is quite surprising when you think about it. Well, at any rate, when I accompanied a US reporter (from the Boston area) to visit former President Chen in prison (he was in TuCheng at the time) in March 2010, we asked him about this issue. His reply: "I was unaware of this!!"

So . . . . you figure it out.

My point is simply this: Since the local Taiwanese can't get a license and a frequency, it seems impossible that a foreigner could get one.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 15 Nov 2011, 21:00

Taiwan_Student wrote:Well, someone should consider that! We really need that. Taiwan has a very interesting history in the Ex-Pat radio department. ICRT was really Great years ago. It was a real community, almost like Forumosa. It had a membership and a new letter and it really was devoted to making the foreigner feel at home. It was practically foreigned owned. They even had a almost "No Chinese" Policy.
Then after the big earth quake, having proved how much of a public service it could be, it self destructed.

Then there was some foreigner guy who started a pretty good radio station. He advertised that he was going to go on the air in the near future and even published his "assigned" frequencies". He set up the radio station via the internet as a sort of a trial run. He even got legitimate organizations to sponsor him. He got all of the studio equipment on credit. Then one day he got arrested and it all disappeared. The guy turned out to be an alleged pathological liar. Too bad, he had a Taiwanese wife and kids.

Why not go... AM. There are more than a few hundred radio stations that just have a call in Karaoke format. Perhaps we could buy time, or buy the bloody station while keeping the legal staff in place. We do need a station.
There have been internet attempts.. But they did not fly too well. To me, a local radio station is something that I can access in my car. Gives me the news I can use and a real "live" voice that assures me every thing is OK.
(I'm from the old days of radio, like Orson Wells's war of the world who believe that a reporter should hold that mike until the end) With affordable 3 G here in Taiwan, that might be an option. You could start a radio station and advertise the best 3g networks to use while listening in your car.

Good luck finding the rules. Good luck in founding a stations.. Please share your ideas anyway. What kind of radio service did you want to form....

Three things:

1-ICRT was doomed as soon as local FM radio stations got their shit remotely together. It only existed because the local alternative was so crap for so many years. Once they figured it out they took much of the audience and advertising dollars.

2-Terrestrial radio is a sunset industry anyways. Why would one even venture into such a business nowadays, especially in a language that is foreign to your market?

3-The internet does it better.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
469 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 20 Nov 2011, 01:03

Deuce Dropper wrote:Three things:

1-ICRT was doomed as soon as local FM radio stations got their shit remotely together. It only existed because the local alternative was so crap for so many years. Once they figured it out they took much of the audience and advertising dollars.

2-Terrestrial radio is a sunset industry anyways. Why would one even venture into such a business nowadays, especially in a language that is foreign to your market?

3-The internet does it better.

"2X2L calling CQ. Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there.... anyone?"

Do these words mean anything to you? Internet? 3 G? 4 G? all gone with the slightest typhoon or earth quake, not to mention an attack from China? A terrestrial radio station, an emergency powered gas generator, even let's say remote transmitter site like the ones ICRT uses all should have microphones to address the people.

Even though my phone service survives most minor disasters, I'm knocked off line because my adsl modem requires ac power. I wonder if ADSL still survives during a power failure? Some one should rig up another power source, test it and share the results.

But back on topic.... Radio.. old fashioned radio is the best way to reach the market and even if this is not the case, it is the best way to keep people informed. Heck, I love internet radio. If I could find an affordable way to get it in my car, I would. But, I still turn to the local station for news.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 14 Feb 2012, 09:57

You'll get all the info you are looking from these English translations of relevant acts and regulations on the NCC website:

http://www.ncc.gov.tw/English/news_detail.aspx?site_content_sn=17&is_history=0&pages=0&sn_f=927

But in a nutshell: No. There are limitations on foreign ownership. I know the chairperson of the board must be a Taiwan national. Direct or indirect foreign investment has a ceiling. It might be 25% but you'll have to scan through the regualtions in the link to find out for sure.
viba
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to General Legal Matters