Car crash - what to do

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Car crash - what to do

Postby nil desperandum » 23 Aug 2011, 23:45

My friend (whom I shall refer to as Rob) has just had a letter from the police asking him to go to the local police station on Saturday to explain what happened last Friday morning. This is what happened:
he was driving to work when, a scooter ran a red light at speed and smashed into the side of the car. He checked to make sure the guy was alright and then buggered off as he doesn't have a license (or international one). He wants to know what to say on Saturday.
What are the consequences for him (fines, compensation etc)?
nil desperandum
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Car crash - what to do

Postby tomthorne » 24 Aug 2011, 00:29

Don't despair. I think you'll just get a fine. I'm not sure how much, or what will happen regarding compensation though.

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?t=39849
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 Aug 2011, 02:01

Sticky. The other person's fault, but you left the scene of an accident, so they can pretty much do whatever they want with you. The fine will be the fine. That's the easy bit. Plus you'll have the fine for no license, no insurance. Also easy. Just money. After that, though, if you DO get held to blame (a virtual certainty since you left the scene) then the other side can sue you for however much they can. And they will. THAT'S where the real money starts entering the picture. And where the interminable back-and-forth at hearings, mediation, lawyers, etc. comes into play.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 24 Aug 2011, 09:28

I guess that Rob will just have to tell the police that he checked that the guy was OK and had to rush off for some very important reason. Did the guy tell Rob that he was OK? Any witnesses to this?
tomthorne

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby speed_maniac » 24 Aug 2011, 11:25

1. Rob should not have been driving without a license.
2. Rob should not have left the scene. He should have waited for the cops to come. It was not his fault and he could have proved his innocence on the spot.
3. Sandman is right about -- the other side can sue you for however much they can.
4. Only hope Rob has, is to get a copy of the video from any of the surveillance cameras around.

A friend of mine, a local Taiwanese lady, is in shit because an old lady ran a red light and hit my friend. Both were on scooties going pretty slow but since the old lady did not have a helmet on, she hit her head pretty hard and is now in a coma since the past 3 weeks. There are no witnesses and unfortunately no surveillance cameras around. So it is the old lady's word against my friend's word and since the old lady is still in a coma my friend is getting harrassed by her family.

I can vouch for my friend because she never goes over 50, rides very carefully and in her 20 odd years of riding a scooty, this is her first accident!!!
speed_maniac
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 24 Aug 2011, 11:36

Recently I hit a car that jumped a red light, it was a police controlled junction, so they sorted it out within a couple of hours. I don't have a license and the police were great, they were encouraging me to ask the car driver for more money for inconvenience and medical bills (I was unhurt) and the bike's repair bill went through the car drivers insurance.

I get the impression that walking away from an accident is quite a big thing, no matter how small it is.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

16 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 Aug 2011, 13:28

StuartCa wrote:I get the impression that walking away from an accident is quite a big thing, no matter how small it is.

That's the biggie. No matter what the traffic court hands down, the other party in the ensuing civil suit WILL be claiming it as a hit-and-run. That often means jail time in the UK, as far as I know. Here, however, it'll just be a great deal of money.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby nil desperandum » 24 Aug 2011, 22:17

The police told Rob he's likely to face a 60-70k fine. The afters between him and the 'victim' will become clearer on Saturday.
nil desperandum

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 24 Aug 2011, 22:31

Hopefully the police already have this, but in case they dont, Rob should hire a lawyer or someone who can facilitate tracking down video/cctv evidence proving who was at fault. Paying this expense now will make things cheaper in the long run. Hopefully the CCTV tapes go longer than 48 hours.

Proof of phone call records showing you called an ambulance to ensure you can prove that you were concerned to make sure the other guy didn't have internal bleeding or other issues would also be useful.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby whitetiger » 24 Aug 2011, 22:34

Is it possible that it would automatically be Rob's fault, just because he doesn't have a license? Seems to supersede all fault here. I hope the other party is reasonable, but I doubt it given that they have pursued Rob after causing the bloody accident. I'd like to see a judge really give it to one of these undesirables, trying to exploit people and the system. Two people made a mistake, no one gets money. They should both get fines and that should be the end of it. Certainly round up that footage.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to General Legal Matters