Car crash - what to do

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Car crash - what to do

Postby pqkdzrwt » 24 Aug 2011, 23:20

When you say "judge really give it to one of these undesirables" are you talking about the guy who accidentally went through a red light, or the guy who was driving without a license?
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby whitetiger » 24 Aug 2011, 23:30

I was referring to the guy who ran the red light, in a scenario where he sues the guy with no license. The guy driving without a license is not trying to sue the other driver. They both screwed up and are not entitled to a large sum of cash. Way too many people get away with ridiculous lawsuits.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 25 Aug 2011, 01:35

Is it possible that it would automatically be Rob's fault, just because he doesn't have a license?

No. That's treated separately. He'll get fined for it, but it won't attribute blame.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 25 Aug 2011, 03:49

get a friend with a licence to front up to the cops and say that someone who ran a red light hit him while your friend was driving your car, then buggered off. there was no point stopping as there was no one there.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

183 Recommends(s)
238 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 25 Aug 2011, 04:10

urodacus wrote:get a friend with a licence to front up to the cops and say that someone who ran a red light hit him while your friend was driving your car, then buggered off. there was no point stopping as there was no one there.

Don't you know that's ILLEGAL, urodacus? :no-no:

God forbid we become so assimilated!
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

941 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 25 Aug 2011, 08:33

urodacus wrote:get a friend with a licence to front up to the cops and say that someone who ran a red light hit him while your friend was driving your car, then buggered off. there was no point stopping as there was no one there.

Thats a pretty big risk. What if there was a fixed CCTV camera in the area, or an in car camera that captured the scene. What if the police attended and know that the person and/or bike were not in a state to "bugger off"?

This does raise for me another question which I believe is related to this thread. If someones in car camera witnesses an accident, what would you do. Wait for the police and just give them the SD card? Get the police contactact and email/send it later, or would you just drive by and send it somewhere later?

How about if you are in an incident, what do you do with the SD card? would you guard your SD card from the police to ensure it was not lost or tampered with, or would you take it home to ensure you have a copy?
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby nil desperandum » 26 Aug 2011, 18:53

Today the police didn't even ask Rob whether or not he had a licence so that shouldn't be a problem any more. And it turns out that the other guy has a criminal record as long as your arm, including drug-dealing, injuring someone in a crash (couldn't make that up), and blackmail. So negotiations should be, er, interesting! Technically the other guy could still try to sue for a lot so we'll have to wait and see if he's willing to be reasonable.
nil desperandum
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 26 Aug 2011, 19:04

nil desperandum wrote:Today the police didn't even ask Rob whether or not he had a licence so that shouldn't be a problem any more. And it turns out that the other guy has a criminal record as long as your arm, including drug-dealing, injuring someone in a crash (couldn't make that up), and blackmail. So negotiations should be, er, interesting! Technically the other guy could still try to sue for a lot so we'll have to wait and see if he's willing to be reasonable.

He sounds as if he's likely to be one of the most reasonable people you could hope to meet. :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 29 Aug 2011, 18:45

Often negotiations with weirdos are about being the most aggressive and loudest one in the room.

Say you have CCTV footage even if you don't have it. Negotiations come before a case is brought or you even get fined for driving without a licence; it only goes over to the police if negotiations fail (which is when they'll conduct an investigation and fine you for driving without a licence). So the footage will only come into it if it gets to the police, which if you scare them enough it won't.

As soon as they start declaring what you must pay you slap a CD down on the table and tell them that this is CCTV footage, showing them clearly running a red light and crashing into you. Then add pictures of the car damage on top. For wasting your time and being rude to you, you want $XXX. For the car damage, you need $XXX. Wave the CD around a lot when he argues and argue back that it's their fault, and you're willing to let the police decide and cop the licence fine (if they know about the licence bit). Be louder and more unreasonable than they are. A lot of these people get their own way purely because they are the loudest, so be louder.

If they start to calm down or look a bit scared, say 'Listen, $XXXX is a lot of money and I should have stayed to make sure you were all right, I was just worried/cultural differences/had to go to work/had an exam/(bullshit excuse goes here). Just pay $XXX for the damages and I'll be fine with it.' or 'Look, I understand your family situation isn't good (if you know it's not). It's OK, the damage isn't much anyway.'

Make them sign a contract saying that the matter is closed and they have no recourse to more money and neither do you.

I have no idea what to do if they're truly crazy and call your bluff, but I doubt they will.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 Aug 2011, 19:02

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
I have no idea what to do if they're truly crazy and call your bluff, but I doubt they will.

That is a definite weakness in your strategy.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

281 Recommends(s)
282 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to General Legal Matters