JFRV vs APRC

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: JFRV vs APRC

Postby Toe Save » 02 Sep 2011, 13:44

cranky laowai wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:
Toe Save wrote:It's a $10K application fee plus the headache of a background check and another medical. But you own your own destiny, and that peace of mind must be factored into the equation, imho.

You require a background check and health check for a JFRV

To maintain a JFRV-based ARC, however, does not require either a new clean criminal record report or a health check. Getting permanent residency, however, requires both.

Don't both visas require both hurdles, but one time only? I know my APRC means never getting a health care check done again.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

52 Recommends(s)
47 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 02 Sep 2011, 13:46

Here's a relevant thread:
What happens when your local spouse passes away
If I was staying here for a good deal longer, I would probably apply for the APRC just to have peace of mind, and to save the ARC fees beyond 10 years. However, I'm likely not going to stay another 10 years, so I think keeping my JFRV-based ARC is easier in the short term. My marriage is solid too.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

16 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 02 Sep 2011, 13:58

Toe Save wrote:
cranky laowai wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:
Toe Save wrote:It's a $10K application fee plus the headache of a background check and another medical. But you own your own destiny, and that peace of mind must be factored into the equation, imho.

You require a background check and health check for a JFRV

To maintain a JFRV-based ARC, however, does not require either a new clean criminal record report or a health check. Getting permanent residency, however, requires both.

Don't both visas require both hurdles, but one time only? I know my APRC means never getting a health care check done again.

My point is that to get JFRC, one must jump through the CCR and health-exam hoops ... once. To go from JFRC to APRC, however, one must jump through those hoops again, which doesn't happen if one simply maintains JFRC.

Maybe APRC is worth it. But getting it is a hassle.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 02 Sep 2011, 14:27

Thanks scomargo that's a useful link and provides hope that we could stay and maybe Citizen K can shed light on the financial aspect, if he know that is.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 23 Nov 2011, 14:21

StuartCa wrote:I have a JFRV and was wondering if there is any point in changing to an APRC.

I'm not about to divorce, but I have children and we own our own house (in my wife's name).

Should the worst happen to my wife, would an APRC give me more legal rights regarding the house and the kids would I be legally entitled to her assets/debts.

My current understanding is that with a JFRV if I became a widower I would be up the creek without a paddle and would have to leave the country and have no recourse to our property, or other monies, I don't know about guardianship of the kids.

I did a brief search but didn't turn up much.

Also - can you write a Will here?

Sorry guys, I just noticed this; I don't get down to this end of the forum much anymore.

I was on a JFRV at the time that I lost my wife and was allowed to renew it twice for one year each time after she passed. It was never explicitly stated whether this was protocol or whether they were just letting me slide; I just went in, made the applications and they processed them both times without question. I knew and had all the paper work that was needed and our household registry very clearly stated the date of her death, so I tend to think it was some kind of unwritten protocol, though I have heard of cases where spouses were made to leave once their visas expired. We had been married three and a half years at the time of her death and I was under the assumption that I needed five full years on a JFRV or seven consecutive years (it was seven at that time and I had five and a bit) on work based ARCs. I was a bit confused at the time that I finally went to process my APRC because the agent pointed out that I could have applied some years before based on my record of entry/exit and the visas I had held...no idea how he figure that, but I didn't look to question anything, since my APRC was pretty much a lock based on the qualifications I applied with. I guess for hard and fast answers, you are best off to consult the NIA directly.

As for the financial part, I was considered the direct inheritor of all assets we acquired while married. This included her bank accounts and any insurance policies on which I was named as the beneficiary. We had (I had, but in her name) bought a car and a house together, and there was about six years left on a ten year mortgage. Her father would apparently have had some right to claim half of that since we purchased it a little before we were married, but as per the instructions in her handwritten will, which is apparently a valid document in Taiwan, all assets we acquired and purchased together were to go to me. I hired a Dai Su, a kind of notary public, to help me probate everything and there was a small amount of money, I think something like $40-50k, paid from me to the father to settle any claims that he could have had to the assets. As to the will, I have no idea if it would have held up if anyone had seriously decided to question the way the estate was being probated. I do know that once I showed it to her family and the arrangements that my wife had made for them with insurance and such, any question of contesting it was quashed.

That was my experience. I can say that I felt very fortunate to have a good friend that works for a very powerful lawfirm here in Taiwan to point me in the direction of one of the partner's at her firm to help me along with the whole thing. I don't really feel as though I can give any hard or fast answers as to what the exact rules are regarding wills and such, since I wasn't really in any kind of state of mind to pay much attention to all of that stuff at the time. One thing that I have to say is that the agents at the NIA and all the many other government/financial offices that I dealt with were all very professional and sensitive to the fact that I was a big mess emotionally from the whole thing.

If you have any question about any of this, I'll check back here from time to time. I think pretty much everything I had to offer was posted in that thread that was linked to above, but I try to help with any questions here again. One thing that has apparently changed over the years is that joint ownership of property (houses) is apparently now permitted. If your house is paid off or if the mortgage is in both of your names, I would look at getting your name on the deeds, as well. I doubt there would be much contest to the kids, since you are obviously their biological father.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Jaboney (25 Nov 2011, 10:14), scomargo (23 Nov 2011, 14:53)
Rating: 11.76%
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 23 Nov 2011, 14:28

Cheers CK that's very useful information.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby alecinwonderland » 16 May 2013, 16:39

I'm renewing my JFRV in August. Regarding the new easier regulations relating to getting an APRC (No CRC or health check) is there anything else that I should consider? Is it possible to get a life-long JFRV or do I have to renew it every year?

Thanks
"PC games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
alecinwonderland
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby StuartCa » 16 May 2013, 17:20

after your first year you get it renewed every 3 years.
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to General Legal Matters