Returning to Taiwan to see my son, and facing criminal charges

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Returning to Taiwan to see my son, and facing criminal charges

Postby pgdaddy1 » 16 Oct 2011, 14:15

darienpeak wrote:
What about taking your lumps and just facing the music, getting it over with. Your current strategy seems too avoidant somehow. I wish I had better suggestions for you. I want your kids to love and respect you.

Of course I would go back and face the music if it meant that I would be guaranteed to be able visit Taiwan and have contact with at least one of my children. The question I am asking is that, having been found guilty, with a criminal record, would I not then be expelled from Taiwan, or at least not be able to apply for a visa again to return, thereby preventing any further contact with my children in Taiwan ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
123 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 16 Oct 2011, 14:26

You are not going to like this.

If I were you, I would prostrate, apologise, beg, cry , ask for forgiveness, give everything to the first wife. Everything she wants. Its usually ego that drives such hatred. Humbling yourself would help a great deal. Since you have two pissed off women with your children, you are obviously repeating your mistakes. Time to break free of the cycle, do sth. unexpected and completely apologise in deeds and words for every wrong you committed and and for EVERYTHING YOU DIDN"T. Get the wife to pardon you for all future sins too and call off the charges. Make the promises you need to and KEEP them. With both women. Its tragedy all over, especially for the boys. Just do what it takes to get the first one to trust you again, and don't break it. Keep your anger at bay. This is not about how right or wrong you are, it is about how badly you ticked off this woman and probably the other. Or else you will just spend your life justifying to yourself, why you can't see your sons and ofcourse holidaying in Borneo and KK.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston

This post was recommended by viba (14 Feb 2012, 10:06)
Rating: 4%
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 16 Oct 2011, 14:27

pgdaddy1 wrote:The question I am asking is that, having been found guilty, with a criminal record, would I not then be expelled from Taiwan, or at least not be able to apply for a visa again to return, thereby preventing any further contact with my children in Taiwan ?

Like I said earlier, if you choose not to come back and dance, you're effectively doing that to yourself anyway. What's the difference?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 16 Oct 2011, 14:34

And what's more, to go to Taiwan now (according to the advice of one Taiwanese lawyer) would mean having to wait an uncertain number of months until the trial, perhaps in detention (and hence losing my livelihood) but in the best case scenario on bail but unable to leave Taiwan- during which time I need to pay for short-term accommodation which I certainly cannot afford along with all the rest of the outgoings, for goodness knows how long- go through the whole expensive thing with lawyers again, dragged through the courts again which is not a pleasant experience. And the risk of my ex filing some more "reputation damage" kind of charges against me, which I wouldn't put past her. And all this for perhaps nothing, if I can't enter Taiwan again anyway.

God knows I want to be there for my children now, it hurts me so much that they are going to have to grow up without me, in Taiwan of all place. I have put myself through hell trying to ensure contact with them in the past, but if returning to Taiwan now is going to be as counterproductive as I think it will be, I am going to be of no use to my children now or in the future, right ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1

ORIGINAL POSTER
123 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 16 Oct 2011, 14:39

divea wrote:You are not going to like this.

If I were you, I would prostrate, apologise, beg, cry , ask for forgiveness, give everything to the first wife. Everything she wants. Its usually ego that drives such hatred. Humbling yourself would help a great deal. Since you have two pissed off women with your children, you are obviously repeating your mistakes. Time to break free of the cycle, do sth. unexpected and completely apologise in deeds and words for every wrong you committed and and for EVERYTHING YOU DIDN"T. Get the wife to pardon you for all future sins too and call off the charges. Make the promises you need to and KEEP them. With both women. Its tragedy all over, especially for the boys. Just do what it takes to get the first one to trust you again, and don't break it. Keep your anger at bay. This is not about how right or wrong you are, it is about how badly you ticked off this woman and probably the other. Or else you will just spend your life justifying to yourself, why you can't see your sons and ofcourse holidaying in Borneo and KK.

Do you really think that I haven't tried this already Divea, a thousand times ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1

ORIGINAL POSTER
123 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 16 Oct 2011, 15:17

God knows I want to be there for my children now, it hurts me so much that they are going to have to grow up without me, in Taiwan of all place. I have put myself through hell trying to ensure contact with them in the past, but if returning to Taiwan now is going to be as counterproductive as I think it will be, I am going to be of no use to my children now or in the future, right ?

It seems that you have already made your decision. Congrats.

But, before I go and shower off this thread, you haven't really been much use to your children anyway up to this point. You seem to be a mess emotionally and a disaster in relationships. Growing up without all this, pardon my French, fucking drama, might not be so bad for the kids. Lots of kids don't have a dad around, let alone a train wreck. IMVHO, you seem to be thinking more of yourself than your kids here.

Send your child support and back off. That's my advice. Oh and think until your thinker can't think no more how YOU got yourself into such an unbelievably disadvantageous position with these women, their families and your children.

And what CP said.

jfc!

jdshudders
Your warning level: [1]

This post was recommended by jimipresley (16 Oct 2011, 18:06)
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 16 Oct 2011, 15:59

jdsmith wrote:

But, before I go and shower off this thread, you haven't really been much use to your children anyway up to this point. You seem to be a mess emotionally and a disaster in relationships. Growing up without all this, pardon my French, fucking drama, might not be so bad for the kids. Lots of kids don't have a dad around, let alone a train wreck. IMVHO, you seem to be thinking more of yourself than your kids here. Send your child support and back off. That's my advice. Oh and think until your thinker can't think no more how YOU got yourself into such an unbelievably disadvantageous position with these women, their families and your children.

And what CP said.

jfc!

jdshudders

I feel the same. Every post you make is about how you feel and what you want. You do not seem to have a thought about what is actually best for your children. IMO, it's better for a child to not have to live with the drama that you seem to cause in your relationships again and again. Let the kids grow up in some peace. If you prove yourself by sending the due support, then one day they will grow up and realize what that meant to them, and to their mothers--who they LOVE whether you do or not.

A second point is that if you come back here, and especially if you have to be here for any length of time, and if you aren't locked up for that time--what's to stop you from having yet another child you will not get to actively father?
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 16 Oct 2011, 17:32

housecat wrote:
jdsmith wrote:

But, before I go and shower off this thread, you haven't really been much use to your children anyway up to this point. You seem to be a mess emotionally and a disaster in relationships. Growing up without all this, pardon my French, fucking drama, might not be so bad for the kids. Lots of kids don't have a dad around, let alone a train wreck. IMVHO, you seem to be thinking more of yourself than your kids here. Send your child support and back off. That's my advice. Oh and think until your thinker can't think no more how YOU got yourself into such an unbelievably disadvantageous position with these women, their families and your children.

And what CP said.

jfc!

jdshudders

I feel the same. Every post you make is about how you feel and what you want. You do not seem to have a thought about what is actually best for your children. IMO, it's better for a child to not have to live with the drama that you seem to cause in your relationships again and again. Let the kids grow up in some peace. If you prove yourself by sending the due support, then one day they will grow up and realize what that meant to them, and to their mothers--who they LOVE whether you do or not.

A second point is that if you come back here, and especially if you have to be here for any length of time, and if you aren't locked up for that time--what's to stop you from having yet another child you will not get to actively father?

I would never, never get into to such a relationship again, let alone to have more children. I have learnt my lessons, and learnt more about myself, partially thanks to a little therapy. As for drama, well although I did make mistakes, most of the actual drama was caused by my ex's. To subject young children to any kind of drama or upheaval is abhorrent to me. Perhaps you should know this better than most having had a Taiwanese ex yourself. As always, Housecat, you seem to say what you want to say without looking, or perhaps caring for the actual facts of the situation- if you want to vent because you are unhappy in your own life then maybe it's best to vent on the teacher's forum, not here ? Your postings do seem to suggest that you are better able to tell us stories about your own life than give advice to others. And by the way, I do feel sorry for you for all the crap you seem to have to take week-on-week from your various employers- and have at no point even thought about blaming it on you- as you have done to me.

Imagine what it would be like for you if you could not see your child for even one day, then multiply that by a thousand, a million when you don't know when or even if you can see them again, how they will grow up without you, when they need your moral guidance more than anything else. Yes, it's not just mothers that feel this way- it's fathers too.

Yes, I do send generous support in both cases, and yes, I do love both children more than anything.

And I guess you didn't read it when I said it at least twice before- I am just trying to establish the practical consequences of me returning to Taiwan now to visit and be as much to a father to at least one of my sons as I can possibly be. I am not looking for any moral judgements. Clue: that's I why started the topic in the legal forum.
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1

ORIGINAL POSTER
123 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby tash » 16 Oct 2011, 17:49

pgdaddy, don't tell me you didn't expect to be judged. This is forumosa ;)

I'm trying to imagine this situation... I have a girlfriend at the moment with a situation that is similar to yours only in the aspect where she has to decide to either 'do the time', so to speak, now and get it over with, or find a way to avoid it, but without any certainty about when she'd be able to be with her kids.
I don't see how you'll be able to decide that until you know what the exact legal ramifications of your return are. And I don't see you getting that answer here, to be honest. Save yourself some grief and stop reading the moralizing posts and most of all, stop wasting energy answering them. You don't have to justify your life and who you are to us.

I hope your sons get the benefit of your love for them.

This post was recommended by pgdaddy1 (16 Oct 2011, 17:56)
tash
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

24 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 16 Oct 2011, 18:06

tash wrote:I don't see how you'll be able to decide that until you know what the exact legal ramifications of your return are.

Exactly. And I won't know the legal ramifications until I return to Taiwan. Catch 22.
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1

ORIGINAL POSTER
123 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to General Legal Matters