Filing a lawsuit in Taipei

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Filing a lawsuit in Taipei

Postby hotbooboo69 » 10 Nov 2011, 19:58

Here is the situation, my car was in a single lane was proceeding straight forward from the intersection after the light turned green. But, even before completing the intersection crossing, a scooter came from behind along the left side and veered in quickly to avoid incoming traffic on the opposite lane clipping my car's front bumper (minor scrape). The scooter driver lost control and fell. Minor scrapes and bruises for the scooter driver. The accident was caused by the scooter but because they only had liability insurance, they wanted my insurance to pay for the damages. I was told that my rates would go up if I accepted to pay for the damages, I then said "no"... Now the scooter driver's family wants to sue. They claimed the damage done to the scooter was 23,000NT. The mother went to the local police precinct yelling and screaming that I refused to pay and requested my address (not sure if that's legal) but the "annoyed" officer said it was and gave it to her. I was also told by the "annoyed" police officer that both parties were wrong because both parties were moving during the time of the accident. Mine being not leaving enough room. Funny, "single lane" what room is there? No laws were broken, i.e. drunk driving, running red light, etc.

What does it take to file this type of lawsuit and how should I prepare for this lawsuit? Also I am leaving this country to return home in 4 months.
hotbooboo69
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Filing a lawsuit in Taipei

Postby Nuit » 10 Nov 2011, 20:14

If you're leaving (for good?) in 4 months, you've got enough to deal with without worrying about a lawsuit. Minor scrape to your vehicle, and no personal injury? Just forget about it.
Would also suggest you engage in stalling their lawsuit, and then leave and forget about it. Others may have better advice there.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 10 Nov 2011, 20:18

Offer NT5000. Then make excuse after excuse until you leave the country (I assume you are not coming back ever). Or just tell them flat out you are leaving in a few months and they can fuck off (don't say fuck off of course as they can sue you for that :lol: ).

Or as Nuit says, just wait it out.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby hotbooboo69 » 10 Nov 2011, 20:26

Sort of leaving for good. The wife is from here...so need to come back from time to time...
hotbooboo69

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby finley » 10 Nov 2011, 21:10

The way it works is that the police will "suggest" you settle with a cash amount, but they have no authority to compel anyone to do anything, and often (as in this case) are clueless about the law anyway.

Assuming you don't settle, the insurance company will commission an assessment of the circumstances by an independent panel of "experts". I believe this is a he-said, she-said session in which both parties involved must make a written statement. I'm a bit hazy on the details - you'd best just ask the police about how that works, but it normally ends there - there is typically no need for anybody to sue anybody else.

The family are just trying it on. Shouting and screaming and threatening to sue is the traditionally-accepted way you prove you're right. The correct response is to shout louder and countersue. This proves you are right. Both parties will then pretend nothing ever happened, withdraw their charges, and life will go on. Since you intend to come back, ignoring it and hoping it will go away is probably not a good idea; in the absence of evidence either way (I assume there were no witnesses willing to testify) the judge will simply assume that because you have been sued you must be the guilty party.

I might add: those little video cameras you can now buy in B&Q are worth every penny.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

857 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to General Legal Matters