Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Recovering Stolen Property

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Recovering Stolen Property

Postby Super Hans » 13 Dec 2011, 09:33

ya, talk for a fucking hour to tell you too turn right at the next intersection. And you wonder why everyone wants to learn Engerish.

How's your English doing? Seem's like you're getting to grips with it fairly well now.

Read yesterday about a young mother who went to bout 100feet to a neighboring row house in the UK and asked the people there to turn down their music. She was stabbed and died of her wounds. Motto: Call the police and file a complaint, dont go there and solve it yourself. Let the police go there and let's see if they get attacked like she did

The downside of this is that they probably wouldn't seize any property, therefore allowing the scrotum to get rid of it and remove the evidence. The arrival of then police will just alert him to the fact that someone is on to his case.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 13 Dec 2011, 20:55

It seems that there are several people who wrongly assume that (1) I am asking on my own behalf and (2) I am planning some kind of stealth operation. Allow me to clarify:

1. I am inquiring on behalf of a friend. This is not a fake friend, it isn't me.
2. I am not personally planning to take any action. I am simply inquiring on behalf of a friend.
3. My friend will not attempt anything dangerous or illegal. He wants to use a legal process to recover the equipment. If the thief gets what is coming to him through purely legal means, that is a bonus.

I've already turned him on to the thread and he really appreciates the helpful responses he's gotten from many of the posters. He is checking with his insurance provider now.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
129 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 14 Dec 2011, 17:26

I seriously think that a frendly chat with the police about your options isn't a bad idea. Maybe the courts won't be so good, but the police around here are happy to let you know the legalities of something and the likelihood that you'll get away with it.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 15 Dec 2011, 14:19

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:I seriously think that a frendly chat with the police about your options isn't a bad idea. Maybe the courts won't be so good, but the police around here are happy to let you know the legalities of something and the likelihood that you'll get away with it.

You're joking, right? :lol:

Because if you are not, this is some seriously very bad advice. :eek:

Fortunately, Tomas is, and his friend likely is, too, far too smart to even consider this.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 15 Dec 2011, 14:57

Tigerman wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:I seriously think that a frendly chat with the police about your options isn't a bad idea. Maybe the courts won't be so good, but the police around here are happy to let you know the legalities of something and the likelihood that you'll get away with it.

Fortunately, Tomas is, and his friend likely is, too, far too smart to even consider this.

+ 1 on this
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 15 Dec 2011, 17:49

Tigerman wrote:

Thank you.

I know this poster is trying to be helpful but she still can't get it through her head that I am not the one who was ripped off, and I'm not planning to personally take any action.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas

ORIGINAL POSTER
129 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 17 Dec 2011, 02:35

And you guys can't get it through YOUR heads that I'm not telling you to ask the police how to steal the damn things back. I'm sorry OP, you were perfectly polite in your post. The police really aren't as incompetent as people make out, and having chats with people is how things are done in Taiwan.

Just go and chat with them, explain the situation and ask what normally happens in cases like this. Guarantee you they'd have seen similar things before and can recall a few 'Oh, this guy did this and they sued him for this, and this guy stole it back but we never had any proof, and this guy did this...' anecdotes which might end up being useful references.

Or, you know, they might actually know their jobs and refer you to the appropriate section of the law and office at the courthouse that can help you.

Just rock up to the desk and ask whoever doesn't look busy. Don't bother making it formal with an appointment. They might be useful and they might not be, but they'll probably be a damnsight more useful than here. The only good advice I've seen in this thread so far is 'let the insurance handle it,' but they probably won't do anything because they've already paid the case and it would be too much hassle to persue it overseas.

If you don't speak Chinese, find someone who does to talk to them. It's very hard to be competent and helpful in a language you can't really use or understand; I find I meet 1 incompetent person out of 20 in most government offices whereas most of the flob makes it sound like 18 out of 20 government workers don't know their arse from their left hand.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to General Legal Matters